Installing transmission, any pointers?

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Hey,

I took off the transmission in my JZA70 for a rebuild and it was a pain to take it off, seemed like there wasnt enough space in the transmission tunnel. We finally managed to take it off with some wiggeling, but the question is, how the hell will we get it back as it was such a paint to take it off?

Have you guys taken off the engine mount bolts and tilted the engine backwards to help to get the transmission in?

We have a lift and a tranny jack available which helps the installation.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Krister;887806 said:
Have you guys taken off the engine mount bolts and tilted the engine backwards to help to get the transmission in?

We have a lift and a tranny jack available which helps the installation.

That's pretty much what I did. Only difference I had was the lack of a tranny jack. I used a regular floor jack and I did it by myself. Talk about a pain in the ass!!!

jizake1jz

FTMFW
Feb 18, 2007
Lake Zurich, IL
i took my tranny off by myself underneath the car one day only to realize as i set it down on my chest/arm that the car wasn't high enough and i could barley wiggle out from underneath it hahaha (mind you i only weigh 150 lbs so it almost weighs as much as me).

if you cant just tilt the motor backward to allow enough room to get the trans on (thats what i do), i would see if you could lift the engine and bring it forward a little bit. its the bellhousing thats the tight fit.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
We've always got em in and never loosened the motor mounts. We use a lift tho. i aint doing no more crazy shit like that without a lift or lots of help. i did it for 6 years on my back.....no more!

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
did you undo the pressure plate from the flywheel? ive taken the trans off without undoing that once, but realized there was no chance of putting it back on with the clutch assembly still on there

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Just thought of another tip....Take off the drivers side inspection plate and then remove the shift fork. I forgot to do that when I removed mine and I was stumped as to why it wouldn't come off. Then I realized it and I was having trouble sliding the tranny back on far enough to pull out the fork.

P.S. Ben: Did you get my PM asking if you would mind shipping those injectors? I haven't heard back from you yet.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Easy way: Take the motor out, and install them as a pair.

Other way: put a jack under the front of the motor, and jack it up to tilt the motor at an angle. Then, slide the pressure plate and clutch onto the transmission shaft, DONT bolt it to the flywheel. Slide the tranny up, and bolt it in, THEN bolt the pressure plate through the access panels.

jizake1jz

FTMFW
Feb 18, 2007
Lake Zurich, IL
yeah you have to take the fork and pressure plate off. its not an option. you have to.

i've always wanted to go to finland though. buy me a plane ticket and i'll come help!

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
AF1JZ;887896 said:
Just thought of another tip....Take off the drivers side inspection plate and then remove the shift fork. I forgot to do that when I removed mine and I was stumped as to why it wouldn't come off. Then I realized it and I was having trouble sliding the tranny back on far enough to pull out the fork.

P.S. Ben: Did you get my PM asking if you would mind shipping those injectors? I haven't heard back from you yet.

crap dude, i forgot to reply to you, ill call the shop here in a few minutes and let them know about the set of injectors for you, so they can box em up and all.

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
if you loosen the cross member bolts it'll give you a little more clearance. i have big hands so that helped me out a little. and loosening the motor mounts.

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
annoyingrob;887913 said:
Other way: put a jack under the front of the motor, and jack it up to tilt the motor at an angle.

Wont the rubber stock motor mounts break if I force it to tilt without unbolting them?

Then, slide the pressure plate and clutch onto the transmission shaft, DONT bolt it to the flywheel. Slide the tranny up, and bolt it in, THEN bolt the pressure plate through the access panels.

I never thought of this, thanks for the tip.

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
Krister;888907 said:
Wont the rubber stock motor mounts break if I force it to tilt without unbolting them?

You should be fine as long as you don't go really far with it. If your worried, just loosen the motor mount nuts. There's only two...:dunno:

kikwear002

Oct 16, 2006
Ft myers florida
A lift helps out so much.
( i loosen the bolts but use a scre jack so i can control how much it tilts)
take shifter off
Take drive shaft out, cross member with screw jack and a tranny jack
drain trans
lower jack so trans tilts, use 3 foot 1/2 extension and remove top bolts
pull presure plate to flywheel bolts
pull starter bolts
strap trans to jack
remove side bolts
unplug sensors
remove trans

takes like 30-45 mins on lift

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
annoyingrob;889975 said:
They can, if you're worried, it's two bolts to loosten them.

Phew, got the tranny installed yesterday. I got to give you guys respect who have done it in your car without a lift. We had to unbolt the subframe a little and unbolt the engine mounts to tilt the engine enough backwards to get input shaft to slide in. Took us almost three hours to install the tranny with all the accessories like clutch, exhaust, new slave cyl etc..