Installing piston & Rings

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
ok i have everything disconnected from the engine and waiting for my bro to come over with his engine hoist.Now i no what tools i need to hone out the piston chambers after i get the old ones out,but would love some input with the procedure and i know it's not impossible to do.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
To install the rings, a ring expander makes the process MUCH easier. It's possible without one, but a huge pain in the ass and you might break a ring. You'll also need a ring compressor to get the new rings into the cylinder. Follow the TSRM for full instructions.

The "piston chamber" is actually called the cylinder. ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
popcorn.gif

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
The reason why I was going to to this was due to the whole sparkplug was DRENCHED with oil and i assumed that the piston rings were worn.Today my buddy came over and within 2min i showed me that my gasket that lays between the valve covers was loose and in bad shape.So i'm going to replace that and order new gaskets that fit in the groves in the valve covers.SON OF a B$#%.I'm going to a technical school so i can lern the to be a mechanic lmmao..........seriously.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
grimreaper;1545106 said:
^ well no wonder i cant find my popcorn, YOU have it!
Happy to share ;)

supraman508;1545643 said:
The reason why I was going to to this was due to the whole sparkplug was DRENCHED with oil and i assumed that the piston rings were worn.Today my buddy came over and within 2min i showed me that my gasket that lays between the valve covers was loose and in bad shape.So i'm going to replace that and order new gaskets that fit in the groves in the valve covers.SON OF a B$#%.I'm going to a technical school so i can lern the to be a mechanic lmmao..........seriously.
Spoilsport this was going to be entertaining :D

87GWSupra

Rally Supra
Jan 24, 2010
Carlton, Oregon
I think your getting in over your head man. If you have to ask this stuff you prob shouldn't do it. A lot more to it then just running a hone and slapping it back together.