Installing new calipers, pads, and rotors

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Hey guys, I've been building up an 87 Supra back to stock specs for the past couple of years and there's one final thing to do: the brakes.

I'm about to install new SS brake lines, rotors, calipers, and brake pads on the front and rear. I was wondering if there's anything that needs to be replaced along side those things that I might not be aware of.

Thanks!

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I just bought them at Advanced Auto and their description said "w/o brackets". Is that what you're talking about? Can I buy those brackets separately?

I'll be picking up the calipers tomorrow morning; they had to order them.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I dont think you will need the brackets. Just make sure you get the slider/shim, last time when i replaced mine they came with the calipers.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Make sure you bleed when you're done.
I know it isn't something to replace but you sound a little unsure about the process though you might be. Rather tell you than read about the bad news later.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
salomon68;1596055 said:
I just bought them at Advanced Auto and their description said "w/o brackets". Is that what you're talking about? Can I buy those brackets separately?

I'll be picking up the calipers tomorrow morning; they had to order them.

If they don't come with replacement slides, send em back. The slides are the main issue in the design...

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I rebuilt my calipers for less than $10 each. I also had them powdercoated to match the engine color-scheme.

While you have all that off the wheel hub, tighten up the suspension components you can easily reach there...

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Wow, thanks for the replies. Correct me if I'm wrong. So, these are the things I need:
- speed bleeders
- slide shims (should come with the calipers?)
- master cylinder
- new bolts
- tighten up all the bolts for the suspension

How do I know if my Supra has ABS? Need to know for the master cylinder. It's an 87 NA w/ TEMS

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
If you get a new master cylinder test it before you leave the store, make sure the backflow valve is working, ie if you press in the piston then put ur fingers over the holes and release the piston, the vacuum should release after a few seconds on your fingers, if it dosent the master is no good. I say this because when I replaced mine it would not bleed, so when I took it off I checked and the check valve (backflow vavle) was not working. Went and got another and another and all had the same problem. I took one apart (at autozone with manager approval and found the valving inside was not set up correctly and would not let fluid come from the master. So I went to the junk yard got one, and a rebuild kit for $15 for master and kit and rebuilt it. I also finally got a good new one, since they already had my core, and they gave it to me at cost so I have a good new spare lying around. But for the hell of it here is a pic of the master from the junk yard. Notice the billet pistons.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg