Installing MBC

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
I did search with some success but still have a couple of questions.
I know how to hook it up, but as for physically doing it i'm having some troubles.

First of all is it absolutely necessary to take off the heat shield around the turbos to get at the right lines? If so what is the best way to get this thing out, it doesn't seem to fit out the top without taking more things off then I would like to.

Also does can anyone post a pic identifying the wastegate lines? I'm having a hard time identifying/getting at them.

Is it easer to do this from underneath?

Thanks for any help.

You don't need to take the heatshield off. I've had to check my boost controller lines for leaks in parking lots before and I just pull the accordian hose/AFM/filter assembly off the turbo and you can get at the wastegate and housing ports.

The wastegate one is easy to find, it's the nipple on the little round thing, which should be bronze-ish in color if it's not too dirty =) The other port is the one connected to the wastegate one by a vacuum line.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
rtrdpenguin;983135 said:
You don't need to take the heatshield off. I've had to check my boost controller lines for leaks in parking lots before and I just pull the accordian hose/AFM/filter assembly off the turbo and you can get at the wastegate and housing ports.

The wastegate one is easy to find, it's the nipple on the little round thing, which should be bronze-ish in color if it's not too dirty =) The other port is the one connected to the wastegate one by a vacuum line.

I doubt he's talking about a 7M.

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
yeah sorry its a 1jz.
Anyways I got it all figured out its just a matter of getting to the rear line now.
The front one's so easy, but I tried for quite a while with no success on the rear. I wish my hands were smaller. I guess I'll have to try and find some more suitable tools ie,, long needle nose pliers.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
It helps if you move the metal hose that runs behind the head fromt he ISC out of the way.

Needle nose pliars will make it easier on you for sure. Bent ones, specifically.

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
OneJoeZee;983229 said:
It helps if you move the metal hose that runs behind the head fromt he ISC out of the way.

Needle nose pliars will make it easier on you for sure. Bent ones, specifically.

thanks, I'll give it another crack again when I muster up some more motivation.

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
I guess I just have to hire a midget, or some cheap child labour! jk
I might try from the bottom, but if that doesn't work i'm tempted to pay a shop an hour's labour and be done with it.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
pimp

i don't think i have too small of hands but i guess i do. whatever.... made my jobs on my car easier so im not complaining