installing autometer sportscomp electric oilpresssure gauge

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
Ive got a new oilpressure gauge and the sender though it seems similar to the std one it is half mm wider. The threads line up, the whole lot is very close but when i tried to screw it in the spare block (in the oil sender hole) it didnt want to go in and the threads didnt want to take. How have you got your electric senders connected?

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
damn... Thanks Ian for that, What options do I have? can i retap the sender? or do i need to get a adapter with 1/8bsp and 1/8npt. I dont want to tap into the block or drill any other holes or plates. I know of the M blockoff plate underneith the oil filter elbow but im not too keen of drilling and tapping that plate.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
steady as she goes it looks like Ian, cheers for that mate. I'll have to give it a go in the morning. Happy easter too you too btw, Hope you dont eat too many chocky eggs. :biglaugh:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Almost middnight here time for bed!

(LOTS OF GREASE and maybe crank it a bit with no IGN fuse afterwards to flush any chips ya miss into a container!)
<Ninja edit> Only run the NPT Tap in about half it's length!

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
ok ive decided to tap the autometer oilpress sender and rather than the block. I tapped it and its in the block now (used teflontape around the thread to help seal.Not sure if its stopping it from getting grounded as it seems to be fine continuity wise), Ive hooked it all up but i dont get any oilpress reading on my gauge. Ive checked the wiring on the back of the gauge and its still connected (spade connectors), the oilpress is grounded to the block via the threads. Ive checked for continuity and
ive got it from touching the side of the sender to the chassis (top of strut tower
got from the wire going to the sender
the back of the gauge (sender pin) to the side of the ciggy lighter.
Is there anything ive done wrong with the wiring or install?
When i go to crank the motor the needle moves to the 0psi mark then once its running it drops to the off state.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
IJ. said:
Never seen a BSP>Npt fitting Mik!

I Tapped one of the holes and if you coat the Tap with wheelbearing grease it catches the minimal chips.

BSPadaptor_350.jpg

now you have! ;)

This unique adaptor fits all Innovatek water cooling gear and it gives you the ability to use common NPT fittings! The male threads are the same as innovatek's BSP threads (British Standard Pipe Thread) and the female side is NPT (National Pipe Thread). Now a quick trip to your local hardware store will get you the exact size domestic fitting you need for your cooling system.

ninja edit! i found a place in aus that sell it.
http://www.sonsbeek.com.au/product-details.asp?productID=49

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I have a better trick, and it is free!

The only real difference between 1/8" npt and 1/8" bpt is the outer diameter. Take a 1/8 npt die and run it as far onto the auto meter senders' threads as you can. After you do this the sender will thread right into the stock hole in the block and seal perfect without even needing teflon tape. I just did it on the Cressida motor we just built with the Auto Meter Sport Comp electric oil pressure sender. Now as for you not reading any oil pressure, that is weird. The gauge hook up was so easy with ignition, ground, and the input from the sender. What resistance are you reading from the terminal on the sender to ground? I think it was around 250 ohms and it drops to about 125 ohms if you have the gauge hooked up because the gauge has some internal resistance.

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
miggles said:
i just went out and measured it. got 532 ohm with gauge hooked up.

I could be wrong about the exact resistance but I am pretty sure 532 ohms is too high. You measured the resistance with the gauge not powered up right? Did you run a new wire just for the sender? Maybe one of the ends you crimped on is not making good contact for some reason, check your sender wire for continuity from end to end. Also, the teflon tape could be the problem. Check the gauge ground wire also.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
ok. the gauge is bolted into the block. the teflon tape is at the top of the threads so the bottom where the pinhole is located is bare metal. I will check the gauge ground wire in the morning. (its just about 1am here) I appreciate your help bigaaron cheers mate :icon_bigg

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
Big thanks to everyone involved in helping me fix my problem. It seemed there was a dodgey powersupply going to the gauge. I had wired it to the wrong power wire. (starter!?!? yes. wtf??) so the gauge would flick to 0psi when i crank the engine. Ive changed the powersupply and now ive got 50psi at startup and 25psi at 1000rpm.