installing arp headstuds with block in car?

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
hey whats up guys, im doing a hg job on my supra, as mine has slightly blown around the # 6 water passage. the car was running fine, but a block test told me that i had a bhg. the block is straight(as checked with a straight edge). i have the head off and im taking it to be checked for straightness and machine work if nessecary, and i would like to use arp headSTUDS, and not bolts on this repair, but the block is still in the car. i have heard that you cant get the head back on with the studs installed if the block is in the car, so i was wondering if this is true? if it is then i guess i have to use arp bolts, but i would really prefer to use the studs if possible. thanks for anyone that can help me out.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Untrue! :) Just make sure you get the newer studs with hex imprints cut in the top, mount the head without the studs in the block, then drop the studs in from the top and screw them in with a small and long allen key. Then drop your washers and nuts on the top and you're good to go.

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
I just did this, and found with the studs in you cannot drop the washers you have to put the washers in the head first then put the studs down through the washer and head, the nut bearly has room to go and you have to have a thin walled socket or you will not get on the nut. Use the supplied molykote and use it liberally without making a mess, there is enough.
William 89T

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Jetfixr757 said:
I just did this, and found with the studs in you cannot drop the washers you have to put the washers in the head first then put the studs down through the washer and head, the nut bearly has room to go and you have to have a thin walled socket or you will not get on the nut. Use the supplied molykote and use it liberally without making a mess, there is enough.
William 89T

what you have just said about the washers in completely untrue.
you can very easily get the washers on with the studs in place.

what i did was take the allen ket and used that to guide the washers into place down around the studs. VERY EASY.

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
lagged said:
what you have just said about the washers in completely untrue.
you can very easily get the washers on with the studs in place.

what i did was take the allen ket and used that to guide the washers into place down around the studs. VERY EASY.
Well, regardless i was not about to get aggrevated, whichever way works is good as long as you get the washers into the head, my head is a series 13 head. Anyway they worked without having to play with the tranny.
William 89T