installing aeromotive kit..

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
I need help on installing the aeromotive afpr kit, i never did this before so bare with me.. i want to know if im going to have to buy my own fittings for the fuel rail or was it suppose to be part of the kit... im confused if anyone can explain how everything is setup or better yet has pictures i would appreciate it ..thanks

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
what did you buy exactly? if you bought the AFPR and install kit from Driftmotion, it has everything you need. But if you just went out and bought an Aeromotive AFPR, then you'll have to source your own adapters and fittings.

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
Rennat;1081098 said:
what did you buy exactly? if you bought the AFPR and install kit from Driftmotion, it has everything you need. But if you just went out and bought an Aeromotive AFPR, then you'll have to source your own adapters and fittings.

its pretty much the kit from driftmotion but i bought it from horsepowerfreaks. Im wondering am i leaving the original fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail and the dampner? I have fittings and such one fitting replaces the pulsation dampner but it seems as though i have nothing to thread into where the stock fuel pressure regulator is at so im not sure exactly how im suppose to set this up :nono::1zhelp:

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
rcboricua07;1081102 said:
its pretty much the kit from driftmotion but i bought it from horsepowerfreaks. Im wondering am i leaving the original fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail and the dampner? I have fittings and such one fitting replaces the pulsation dampner but it seems as though i have nothing to thread into where the stock fuel pressure regulator is at so im not sure exactly how im suppose to set this up :nono::1zhelp:

You need to take the stock pressure regulator out.
Then you can place a fuel hose there which goes from the fuel rail to your afpr.

like this

aeromotive-04.jpg

Then you can attach the open end to your afpr.

the hose that is at the bottom of the afpr is your fuel return line

check:

aeromotive-03.jpg

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
As for your pulsation dampener, you do not need to take it out but if you would like to do so, just run a hose from the fuel line to the fuel feed line at the bottom of the block.

check the pictures again:

As seen from the fuel rail: the hose goes down through the manifold:
aeromotive-05.jpg

and as seen from under the manifold:

aeromotive-06.jpg

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
it could look just like this:
7Mincar-27.jpg

Also,
When setting the afpr to the right pressure, remove the vacuum hose.
You normally need to run a vacuum hose on to the afpr while driving but when you are setting the afpr you need to disconnect that hose.

With the hose disconnected, set the afpr at about 36psi when running stock. when runnin with the 550/lexus combo set it to 40 psi. Try to get a wideband meter and use it to finetune the afpr setting.

hope this helps

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
thevork;1081113 said:
it could look just like this:
7Mincar-27.jpg

Also,
When setting the afpr to the right pressure, remove the vacuum hose.
You normally need to run a vacuum hose on to the afpr while driving but when you are setting the afpr you need to disconnect that hose.

With the hose disconnected, set the afpr at about 36psi when running stock. when runnin with the 550/lexus combo set it to 40 psi. Try to get a wideband meter and use it to finetune the afpr setting.

hope this helps

thanks alot i really appreciate it this is all the information i need and more... and as for the wideband I have one so i will definitely be doing some fine tuning ...thanks again for the help

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
nice pics and instructions, when I did mine a few years back my return line went all the way to the bottom of the firewall to a hard fuel line

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
starscream5000;1081123 said:
OT, damn nice looking motor posted above ;).

thanks mate :)

it ended up looking like this:
2007shoot-1.jpg

It's down again for a head job (exhaust bolts were fubar and now the holes have to be retapped) :)

starscream5000;1081163 said:
Looks like his was going to the J-tube... Most people remove that and do what you did.

I removed the J tube also.
My return line goes all the way to the fender. indeed it goes on a hard fuel line

Maybe something like this (including the pictures) should belong in some sticky?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Gorgeous example of a MKIII done right :)

PM a mod and see if they would consider having you making a short HOW-TO thread on what a AFPR install should look like and have it placed in the tech section. They may allow that as it should help some people out.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
thevork;1081110 said:
As for your pulsation dampener, you do not need to take it out but if you would like to do so, just run a hose from the fuel line to the fuel feed line at the bottom of the block.

check the pictures again:

As seen from the fuel rail: the hose goes down through the manifold:
aeromotive-05.jpg

and as seen from under the manifold:

aeromotive-06.jpg

As for your pulsation dampener, you do not need to take it out but if you would like to do so, just run a hose from the fuel line to the fuel feed line at the bottom of the block

I don't get it, if you don't have to remove the pulsation dampener then why are people doing it? It must serve some purpose. Some plaese help me on this.

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
Koenigturbo;1082248 said:
As for your pulsation dampener, you do not need to take it out but if you would like to do so, just run a hose from the fuel line to the fuel feed line at the bottom of the block

I don't get it, if you don't have to remove the pulsation dampener then why are people doing it? It must serve some purpose. Some plaese help me on this.

I guess it can be a restriction in your fuel setup when you go big? Can't really give you a sensible answer to that other dan this.

I installed it since it came with the kit I bought from Jeff Corbat. He sells these kits on ebay and they are of high quality imho. :)
see here: http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jc*auto/ . I Believe he registered at these forums a while back.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY

You don't have to if you Drill out the restriction inside of it. If you leave it on and have a Walbro fuel pump with stock FPR, then you risk damaging the FPR due to the restriction in the j-tube keeping the fuel from flowing back to the tank enough without backing up the lines with excess fuel.

Most people will buy a blockoff plate in place of the j-tube (SBC blockoff works IIRC), and go right back to the return line on the firewall with the new fuel hose.

The j-tube is there in case the stock FPR takes a shit on you. The restriction inside of the j-tube should create enough back pressure to limp your car back home to have a new FPR put on. Granted, a bad FPR is rare, this doesn't happen often, but it has been documented on here before by some reputable members.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Great write up, and some beautiful engines. :)

I will be installing my kit in a few weeks and was going to be looking for something like this, so subscribed and Thanks!

OT, but what have you guys done to get your intake mani's & 3000 pipes so clean? I have a new long block due to be in my garage early next month and want to get everything looking good before it gets here.

mista_sup

Nov 13, 2006
atlanta
motor looks good, do you have more pics of how you routed your vacuum hoses. haveing some problems with the vsv,s and my bov..

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
Shytheed Dumas;1084318 said:
OT, but what have you guys done to get your intake mani's & 3000 pipes so clean? I have a new long block due to be in my garage early next month and want to get everything looking good before it gets here.

I sanded it and painted it with high temp resistant paint. After that I applied 3 layers of (high temp resistant) clear coating :)