Installing a MHG

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
For anyone that remembers my thread over the summer, I learned the hard way how to properly rebuild a 7M. With less than a couple thousand miles on my rebuild, I blew a headgasket. Here is the thread for those of you that missed it.

After getting the head back from the machine shop and almost ready to install, 2 exhaust studs stripped out the week I was supposed to go back to school. I ordered the helicoil kit from DM and took the head back to the machine shop to have that installed and am finally ready to put the motor back together. I will be using an HKS stopper style headgasket and ARP head studs.

Before I get there I need to know if I still use FIPG on the front timing case with a MHG? I have seen searched through some people's build threads and looked for MHG install how to, but can't seem to find an answer on this particular detail.

-AM3

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
95% sure on this. Yes, you need RTV (FIPG) still. The FIPG is there to seal the seam between the rear timing plate and the block. The HG type doesn't change the fact that the seam exists.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
JDMMA70;2035230 said:
I hope you at least check the block for straightness and lapped it.
The block was machined when I did my first rebuild, but the head wasn't. The HG barely made 1000 miles. Lessons learned, I checked everything this time and went with a quality gasket.

-AM3