Installed my Competition Clutch Stage 1.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Since my stock clutch couldn't hold a decent amount of power anymore (slipping in 4th around 60 mph) I finally installed my competition clutch stage 1....and my girlfriend helped.:icon_bigg

Let me just say this.......

DAMN!

The clutch engages so fast so it's like driving a completely different car.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Cool... I had the same deal in 4th @ about 4k RPM. Put in a Spec stage 2 and I'm loving every second of it.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I recently installed a Competition clutch also , mine was the "Iron man Series", with the 6 puck spring disk and the ACT HD pressure plate. I love the clutch it chattters a bit but what do you expect with a sintered iron 6 puck?. I mde 480 rwhp and 456 tq and it hasnt slipped yet. I highly recomend it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
BiC: Their stage1 street disc chatters as well!
Not sure with ACT's puck clutches but their stage1's don't have Marcel springs between the linings so are always going to chatter/shudder a bit.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
IJ. said:
BiC: Their stage1 street disc chatters as well!
Not sure with ACT's puck clutches but their stage1's don't have Marcel springs between the linings so are always going to chatter/shudder a bit.
Isn't that supposed to greatly shorten your tran's life. Having a non-sprung clutch?

-Colin

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Colin: Marcel Springs are the wavey washers between the friction materials not the Hub springs!

Hold a stock Clutch Disc up and squeeze it and the friction materials can move on the ACT it doesn't so it'll shudder a bit when you slip the clutch.
(only jumped in with this in case anyone bought one and thought there was something wrong with it)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
IJ. said:
Colin: Marcel Springs are the wavey washers between the friction materials not the Hub springs!

Hold a stock Clutch Disc up and squeeze it and the friction materials can move on the ACT it doesn't so it'll shudder a bit when you slip the clutch.
(only jumped in with this in case anyone bought one and thought there was something wrong with it)
oooh, woops, haha. Learn something new every day. Thanks IJ!

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
yeah, 1J (thats right i said ONE Jay!) has the right idea.

the full faced discs which typically are geared towads stock and lower HP setups engage smoothly because of the use of the marcell spring. it slows the engagment and reduces the shock.

but the puck types obviously have no springs. thats why the engage so harshly. but you can offset the harsh engagement by integrating a sprung hub. dont ever buy a clutch disc that has the rubber dampers, because the deteriorate and degrade and can fall out after they compress. the springs are the way to go.

the R154 will last longer if you switch to the Redline Shockproof Gear oil when using heavy duty clutches. also, when switching to a high pressure clutch cover, bypass your clutch safety switch so you dont need to depress the pedal when starting. bypassing the safety switch precludes the possibilty of starving the thrust bearings of lube and reduces the risk of crankwalk.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Fluby. I was thinking of bypassing the switch anyway to make my own version of a kill switch. I guess this is just more incentive to do so. Also, is the Redline Shockproof Gear oil good enough? I already have 2 quarts of it sitting around because I thought I'd replace my differential fluid with it. Thanks!

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
flubyux2 said:
bypass your clutch safety switch so you dont need to depress the pedal when starting. bypassing the safety switch precludes the possibilty of starving the thrust bearings of lube and reduces the risk of crankwalk.

It is really good advice, this simple idea never came to my head. Have to forget long time habit to depress the clutch when cranking.
Thanks
Vladimir, 89T