Insane firing Problem (Im baffled)

StillChasing1

Jun 6, 2009
Orlando Florida
So my car has been running rough for a while and i decided to dig into it today. It sounds like bad timing mixed with a bad misfire. I replaced all the plugs recently to try to fix the problem but it had no effect. I checked the TDC and all the plug wires and found that with the plug wire to the 6th cylinder removed it actually ran better... It ran like it was perfectly in time with a single misfire. It seems like Cyl 6 is firing but it is hitting at the wrong time and bogging out the rest of the motor like its only the 6th cylinder thats out of time.

Any ideas?
Ive heard:
Check Compression
Check injector

Any other ideas? Anyone else had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ge right?
Start with checking codes.
distributor in the correct way?
Timing set to 10* with tei and ei jumped?
Plug wires in the correct order on the dist?
Injector clips on in the right order? Some can be miss matched. Shoudl alernate color of clips from brown to white.

Is it under all conditions?

StillChasing1

Jun 6, 2009
Orlando Florida
Yes GE
The only code ive ever gotten was MAF and i took my intake back to stock and the maf code disappeared
Disttributor is installed correctly at TDC
Timing is set to 10* but jumps to 15 on 6th cyl fire
Plug wires confirmed in correct order
Still need to check injector clips too dark to see them right now no good lighting

Oh and the car is a Cali emissions car
Im from FL but stationed at Camp Pendleton, Cali so thats where the car is.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Oh and under higher RPMs its getting better power but you can still hear the firing problem slightly

StillChasing1

Jun 6, 2009
Orlando Florida
Ok so i got kinda over zealous and frustrated and started pulling multiple plug wires off the distibutor. Turns out im only firing on 3 cylinders 1,2, and 3. 4,5,and 6 are getting fuel and spark but no combustion. next step is checking compression and gap on the plugs. I have bosch +4 platinums and they are pre gapped but a mechanic told me i should still gap them. Any input?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
For some reason i dont remember anything good about those plugs. Non the least. Gap should be about .032. Always supposed to gap your plugs.

If you have fuel and spark it should com bust so long as there is compression. Or unless timing is super off or in a way wrong order.

How are you checking for fuel?

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
O god just throw those things away get ngk laser platinum plugs. Those +4s foul out so fast its not funny. Also check for carbon buildup on the contacts inside of the distributor cap.

StillChasing1

Jun 6, 2009
Orlando Florida
Tested in accordance with the tsrm of course injectors fired fine when removed and fired into graduated cylinder.
Im going to go get a set of denso plugs today
and new wires because i found a crack in the ignitor wire and i cant even see under my throttle body to see if there are cracks
There was carbon on the pickups in my distributor cap so i got a scotch pad and cleaned it off.