Inner Tie rod removal. Scratching my head

JBatt87T

Apr 28, 2005
Athens, GA
Well I'm currently in the process of replaing my power steering pump and my inner and outer tie rods on the supra. I noticed in the manual it requires a special tool to remove the inner tie rod on the passenger side that is different than the common tie rod removal tool because of the mount for the steering bar(?) I got the inner tie rod loose but I'm guessing I'm going to have to order the SST to get the mount loose. Any of you guys have any luck removing this mount without busting up the rack? that's what I'm afraid of.

Thanks guys,
Jake

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Someone just ran into this issue recently, he was able to unbolt the rack mounting brackets and move the rack enough to be able to turn the whole tie rod with the little bracket on it.

3.0trd

Jun 13, 2008
Tracy
I swapped the rack in my car like 2 years ago, and replaced the inner rod ends, I don't remember needing a special tool, just a BIG pair of vice grips...and a small hammer... the ball part under the dust boot should have 2 straight cut slots in it (like for using a monkey wrench or something) then should just break it loose and unthread it?

JBatt87T

Apr 28, 2005
Athens, GA
Thanks a lot for the reply's guys.

I ended up just buying a cheap 1.25" wrench for the tie rod end and used a monkey wrench on the mount to break it loose then put the mount in a vice and screwed the tie rod out of it.

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
I ended up just unbolting the rack and shifting it a little bit enough so i could spin the whole rod and bracket out at once. then when i had it off i used a monkey wrench to get the big nut loose. It was a pain in the ass the first time. If I had to do it again it probably wouldn't be so bad.

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
Can anyone tell me if it will damage the PS rack if you separate the inner and outer tie rods while the rack is in the car by completely unthreading the tie rods using the inner rod? This would be opposed to using a tool to remove the outer rod from the spindle and then unthreading it, instead of spining the inner rod.

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
Ok well it's pretty pointless to do what I was describing above. I got the outers off by removing the cotter pin (after generous application of PB blaster), loosening castle nut, and smacking the shit out of the spindle 4-5 times. They popped right off. Who need's a puller?