Inline and in tank fuel pump setup

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
I did some searching on this and couldnt find a definitive answer. I think I'm correct but I just want to make sure....

I read that I can have a walbro 255lph in tank pump that feeds a surge tank and a bosch 044 inline fuel pump that feeds the rail but...... can I just put the inline pump at the end of my fuel line in the engine bay feeding the rail without a surge tank? I'm pretty sure I can, just want to make sure.

If it is possible..... Will the bosch 044 take some stress off the walbro or will the walbro be worthless in the tank being that the walbro pushes 255lpm and the bosch pushes 300lpm?

Also, what parts are needed to install the bosch 044 at the end of the stock fuel line feed?

Thanks in advance.

AndyMac

Mar 9, 2009
Canberra Australia
I think your best option would be to use a small under car swirl pot for that setup. Have the walbro as your lift pump and then the 044 inline further up the feed.

make sure no matter how you do it with that kind of setup that you run new fuel lines. They would probably want to be atleast -6 to be worth it.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
becauseican;1355692 said:
I am doing extactly this with my car....in tank MK4 Denso pump and 044 inline, I have heard that it should be good for 650+ WHP. I should be done in a week or so.

I have had this set up in my car now for a few months. I have had problems with pressure dropping but I think we have it fixed now.

One interesting note I got the 044 back in line last night and the car running. I get a very strange rattle in the rear of the car from time to time at idle now.

My problem started with the pressure dropping off with both the 044 and the MKIV at only 16psi. I found the problem to be the MKIV in tank did not have a good power source. Now with that sorted out I think the MKIV is now supplying to much fuel to the 044 at idle and causing the MKIV to pop its pressure relief (the sound). Not sure if this is the case, I am going to do some testing tomorrow night to make sure.

The best way to do a set up like this is with a surge tank and a -8 feed to the 044. I will be changing mine over in the fall and installing my 2nd 044 at this time(on a boost switch).

Jeremy

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
i have my denso intake inlined to a bosch 044, but my bosch kicks in when boost hits, and so far it works great no pressure drop im running -8 from the 044 all the way up right before it goes to the rail i split it with a y connector

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
lilazni3uoy;1366227 said:
i have my denso intake inlined to a bosch 044, but my bosch kicks in when boost hits, and so far it works great no pressure drop im running -8 from the 044 all the way up right before it goes to the rail i split it with a y connector

I think you car is the one John Reed has been telling me about. Part of the reason I did mine the way I did. Glad to hear its working well for you, I hope to be on the dyno with mine Sunday.