infintiy or not?

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
I want to get Infinity speakers for both front and back. i got a few questions, will i have to change wires or do the stock wires hold up? im also going to throw in two 8 inch JL subs and want to know how to wire them up. if you got any info on this topic i would like to hear. also if you got any addional thing i should know please post. thanks!

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Stock wires will be fine for virtually any speakers, you will just have to tap into them for the spade connectors on the speakers. As for the Subs, what impedance are they, and what amp are you using. Being 8" subs i would assume they are 4 ohm each, But depending one what amp you use, or how you want them wired will be the determining factor. I would personally run them on a nice 2 channel amp on separate channels. But you could also run them mono and wire them in parallel to drop the ohm load to 2ohms.

azsuprasm

Apr 4, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
I highly recommend the Infinity Kappas for the fronts, especially if you're 87-90 and the 6.5" conversion is out of the questions. I've got'em in the doors of my 90T, and I'm having a hard time convincing myself to switch to the 6.5 thin-mount Pioneers I still have in the box.

AFA the subs go, I also recommend setting them up on their own channels vs. only one, even if that means they're getting less watts: the sound will be cleaner. Depending on your enclosure, you may consider running them out-of-phase as well.

Good luck!

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
For the wires: If you're going to be running off of deck power, the stock wires will be fine. I do highly recommend an external amplifier, in which case, I'd also run better wire.

For the amp: To match with deck power, it's unlikely that you'll need more than 100W (real watts, not max) for the subs for any reasonable sound balance. A class D amp will do this with minimal current draw, and be more than enough for a good sound balance.

If you're running an aftermarket deck, it will probably have outputs for the subwoofer. If you aren't, or are running a cheap deck that doesn't, most amps will also accept "high level" inputs. In that case, you simply tee off of the speaker lines, and into the amplifier. Most 2 channel amps will also have a low pass filter, which you can then use to be sure that you get only bass frequencies to the subs.

The choices for wiring is all up to your choice of deck and amp.