Infinity Ref Speakers?

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
Hey guys,

Looking to put together a fairly basic system for the Supra in the summer and don't want to spend a boatload of money. These are preowned and the guy is asking $60 for both sets.

These are a bit older and reviews on these seem to be non-existent. Anyone had an opportunity to run these previously?

I was looking at the following:

INFINITY REF 5002I 5-1/4" 2-WAY
$_20.JPG

INFINITY REF 3002CF 3-1/2" 2-WAY
$_20.JPG

Oct 4, 2011
PA
Excellent speakers. I had a set of those a long time ago, great sound quality was used with external amplifier and crossover.

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
tmsperformance;1991851 said:
Excellent speakers. I had a set of those a long time ago, great sound quality was used with external amplifier and crossover.

Hehe. Not sure if I even plan on running an amp or any subs. I have alot of work to do aside from audio. I drove my Supra for 3 years without speakers so anything at all is an improvement.

Will I regret not picking up some kind of amp or will powering them from the deck be ok?

Also, should I worry about this "glue" on the 3.5" speakers?

$_20.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
PA
No I would not worry about the glue. It is there to hold the wires. I can't comment on how these sound with an internal amp via head unit. I would say good as long as you don't crank it all the way up. But then, all internal amp head units have quality issues at or near max output.

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
tmsperformance;1991863 said:
No I would not worry about the glue. It is there to hold the wires. I can't comment on how these sound with an internal amp via head unit. I would say good as long as you don't crank it all the way up. But then, all internal amp head units have quality issues at or near max output.

Fair enough. We'll see how the funds flow in the coming weeks. I have a parts car that was actually my running Supra, but the car had alot of rust. I purchased a 90 Supra that had no rust and had a rebuilt motor completely clean, but needed all the electronics and a tranny. I'm hoping I don't get sucked in to mods like I had before with this car... Highly unlikely, but would love to actually listen to music even though with an unciruculated wastegate, it's enough music to my ears. :D

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
5.25" don't fit in any of the oem boxes. Not sure what your plan is with them?

The 3.5"s from the factory are in parallel with the rears, and have an inline cap to make them high frequency fill only. If you put them in without the cap, your low frequency impedance will get down to 2ohms or less. Since they don't have any factory enclosure, they won't make any bass no matter what you do. They are also a PITA to get to since you have to remove the interior trim around the rear seats.

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
3p141592654;1992093 said:
5.25" don't fit in any of the oem boxes. Not sure what your plan is with them?

The 3.5"s from the factory are in parallel with the rears, and have an inline cap to make them high frequency fill only. If you put them in without the cap, your low frequency impedance will get down to 2ohms or less. Since they don't have any factory enclosure, they won't make any bass no matter what you do. They are also a PITA to get to since you have to remove the interior trim around the rear seats.

EDIT - Hmm. I'm probably not going to run any rear speakers then for simplicity. I was going to run 5.25's in the front, but unsure how to go about modding them to fit.

I may just stick with a decent pair of 4"ers I guess and just be happy that after 3 years of no speakers, I have some kind of sound. :D

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
First off I want to say I am all about sound quality over bass or anything like that.
I have always loved my infinitys. I used to be hard into car audio, I have had over 10 different setups in my truck, and finally stuck with my current setup. My truck has infinity kappa speakers all around powered by a 4 channel alpine amp, and jl subs powered by a hifonics amp. My kappas are going very strong.

Now the references IMO are going to be a bit more bassy than the kappas (better for overall sound if not running a sub). I would run an external amp with them still, as the speakers will not sound anything close to quality running off of an internal amp.

In my car I have infinity references up front if I remember right, and I got a killer deal on kickers for the original sub spots next to the rear seats, and I have references in the very back in the hatch if I remember right about that too. I power them with a 5 channel kenwood digital amp along with a single jl 8w3v3 sub. Sounds amazing, and I have all of the adjust-ability I want with it.

Now whatever speaker setup you go with consider an external amp. I cant even begin to explain how much the sound increases with an amp compared to without. Even if you just run a cheap ass 4 channel amp. I will never have another setup in any car without upgraded speakers (I do prefer infinitys over anything. price wise they are the best for the money) and an amp. most likely will run a sub.

Here is my amp and sub setup in my supra. (i will most likely be switching to a smaller 5 channel amp eventually, I really like the new JL xd series as they are so tiny and very powerful).

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
emericaskater285;1992111 said:
First off I want to say I am all about sound quality over bass or anything like that.
I have always loved my infinitys. I used to be hard into car audio, I have had over 10 different setups in my truck, and finally stuck with my current setup. My truck has infinity kappa speakers all around powered by a 4 channel alpine amp, and jl subs powered by a hifonics amp. My kappas are going very strong.

Now the references IMO are going to be a bit more bassy than the kappas (better for overall sound if not running a sub). I would run an external amp with them still, as the speakers will not sound anything close to quality running off of an internal amp.

In my car I have infinity references up front if I remember right, and I got a killer deal on kickers for the original sub spots next to the rear seats, and I have references in the very back in the hatch if I remember right about that too. I power them with a 5 channel kenwood digital amp along with a single jl 8w3v3 sub. Sounds amazing, and I have all of the adjust-ability I want with it.

Now whatever speaker setup you go with consider an external amp. I cant even begin to explain how much the sound increases with an amp compared to without. Even if you just run a cheap ass 4 channel amp. I will never have another setup in any car without upgraded speakers (I do prefer infinitys over anything. price wise they are the best for the money) and an amp. most likely will run a sub.

Here is my amp and sub setup in my supra. (i will most likely be switching to a smaller 5 channel amp eventually, I really like the new JL xd series as they are so tiny and very powerful).

I love the setup. It looks great. Excellent spot to mount the amp.

I must admit that I know nearly nothing about audio. What 4 or 5 channel amp do you recommend that won't break the bank? 5 Channel if I decide to run rears.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I used to run the Inifinity CS1 system waaay back in the day, and loved it. This has no bearing on your speakers, except to say that I like Inifinity's quality.

My setup will be similar to Emerica's, but I haven't chosen front speakers yet.
I purchased a set of Kevin M's front 6.5" speaker pods, and have already installed some 5.25's in the rear- they're minimal modification to move up from 5".
The fronts will be component, with the tweeters in the window mirror blanks, and the sub will be an SVC 10" or 12" in a low profile sealed enclosure.
It will all be run by a Precision Power 5 channel digital amp.

p1993137_1.jpg

p1993137_2.jpg

I also agree that you should run a small 4 channel amp. It doesn't take long to install.
I think that if you want to avoid alot of hassle, stick with a good quality pair of 4" fronts, and get 5" midbass rears for easy bass.
Even a cheap amp will give you some frequency control so that you can hit the low notes with some 5" rears for fill.

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
supraguy@aol;1993137 said:
I used to run the Inifinity CS1 system waaay back in the day, and loved it. This has no bearing on your speakers, except to say that I like Inifinity's quality.

My setup will be similar to Emerica's, but I haven't chosen front speakers yet.
I purchased a set of Kevin M's front 6.5" speaker pods, and have already installed some 5.25's in the rear- they're minimal modification to move up from 5".
The fronts will be component, with the tweeters in the window mirror blanks, and the sub will be an SVC 10" or 12" in a low profile sealed enclosure.
It will all be run by a Precision Power 5 channel digital amp.

p1993148_1.jpg

p1993148_2.jpg

I also agree that you should run a small 4 channel amp. It doesn't take long to install.
I think that if you want to avoid alot of hassle, stick with a good quality pair of 4" fronts, and get 5" midbass rears for easy bass.
Even a cheap amp will give you some frequency control so that you can hit the low notes with some 5" rears for fill.

Wow. I absolutely love the setup. Please do tell how you have the amp and wiring setup.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
BabylonDown;1992116 said:
I love the setup. It looks great. Excellent spot to mount the amp.

I must admit that I know nearly nothing about audio. What 4 or 5 channel amp do you recommend that won't break the bank? 5 Channel if I decide to run rears.

I ran a 4 channel kenwood excelon before i went 5 channel. Just really any decent quality amp is good. JL (my favorite) Alpine, kenwood, mtx, infinity, rockford, some kicker(higher end products, low end kickers suck), and many others. Stay away from jensen and xplode, and walmart brands.

I bought both my kenwoods from a local dealer that does high end stuff local. they were pretty decent priced for how well they run. I will eventually upgrade to a small 5 channel (jl xd series most likely) so i bought this just to get it all running and wired in.

Sonicelectronix is a good site to browse and purchase from.

Now, a 5 channel is mainly to run 4 channels plus a sub. it wouldn't help compared to a 4 channel for just speakers its only needed if you want to run speakers + a sub.
I have my 5 channel setup to run the two fronts on channel 1+2 and my hatch speakers along with the speakers next to the rear passengers on 3+4 and my sub on 5.

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
emericaskater285;1993149 said:
I ran a 4 channel kenwood excelon before i went 5 channel. Just really any decent quality amp is good. JL (my favorite) Alpine, kenwood, mtx, infinity, rockford, some kicker(higher end products, low end kickers suck), and many others. Stay away from jensen and xplode, and walmart brands.

I bought both my kenwoods from a local dealer that does high end stuff local. they were pretty decent priced for how well they run. I will eventually upgrade to a small 5 channel (jl xd series most likely) so i bought this just to get it all running and wired in.

Sonicelectronix is a good site to browse and purchase from.

Now, a 5 channel is mainly to run 4 channels plus a sub. it wouldn't help compared to a 4 channel for just speakers its only needed if you want to run speakers + a sub.
I have my 5 channel setup to run the two fronts on channel 1+2 and my hatch speakers along with the speakers next to the rear passengers on 3+4 and my sub on 5.

Gotchya. I am not sure if I'm going to run any rear speakers at this time. I figured if I got a 4 channel amp I could run the front components and bridge the last two channels for a 10" sub.

I was looking at the Alpine MRP-F300 300 Watt Amp. http://www.crutchfield.ca/alpine_mrp_f300_50w_x_4_car_amplifier_p/500mrpf300.htm

What are your thoughts on this? I can pick it up used for $80 with all the cables.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
BabylonDown;1993177 said:
Gotchya. I am not sure if I'm going to run any rear speakers at this time. I figured if I got a 4 channel amp I could run the front components and bridge the last two channels for a 10" sub.

I was looking at the Alpine MRP-F300 300 Watt Amp. http://www.crutchfield.ca/alpine_mrp_f300_50w_x_4_car_amplifier_p/500mrpf300.htm

What are your thoughts on this? I can pick it up used for $80 with all the cables.

I actually have that amp under my drivers seat in my truck and love it. Its a great amp.
You can run it like that, but I think you may not like having no rear speakers. Then again, you may want to try it and see how you like it.
I just know I would hate not having any sound behind me besides a sub lol.

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
emericaskater285;1993195 said:
I actually have that amp under my drivers seat in my truck and love it. Its a great amp.
You can run it like that, but I think you may not like having no rear speakers. Then again, you may want to try it and see how you like it.
I just know I would hate not having any sound behind me besides a sub lol.

Whyyy!!!! Every time I think I know what I'm going to do I get persuaded to do otherwise. haha.

I'll keep an eye out for a 5 channel, but is 50-75 watts really enough to power a sub?

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
BabylonDown;1993211 said:
Whyyy!!!! Every time I think I know what I'm going to do I get persuaded to do otherwise. haha.

I'll keep an eye out for a 5 channel, but is 50-75 watts really enough to power a sub?

What sub are you thinking of going with?

This is the amp that is in my car. It pushes my jl 8w3v3 great. It is 300watt rms at 4 ohms, and I believe that is what i am running it at if I remember right. Peak power would be around 600 watts. and its 40 watt rms on each speaker channel at 4 ohms which is what i am running there too.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43779_Kenwood-KAC-7005PS.html

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
emericaskater285;1993219 said:
What sub are you thinking of going with?

This is the amp that is in my car. It pushes my jl 8w3v3 great. It is 300watt rms at 4 ohms, and I believe that is what i am running it at if I remember right. Peak power would be around 600 watts. and its 40 watt rms on each speaker channel at 4 ohms which is what i am running there too.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43779_Kenwood-KAC-7005PS.html

I have no idea what sub I'm going to get. I was going to do that last. I don't know much at all about subs, so I was just going to go with whatever was inexpensive, but not cheap, if you know what I mean.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm using these: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130GMD8604/Pioneer-GM-D8604.html

One four channel for the speakers, and another monoblock, same series, for the sub. Nice thing is, you can buy one and expand later.

Supraguy - those speaker pods from Kevin have a perfect spot to mount a tweeter already, right above the main location. You'll need to fab a short stand off to space it out from the back by about 1.5 inches. Then you have no concerns with muddy sound coming from multiple distances, either. You'll lose a bit of stage, but it's still worthwhile IMO.

OP, to be frank, I'd say pick up an external amp - the one you linked should be fine - and run it for a while. If you decide you want *good* sound, you'll probably junk it and buy new amps anyway. What you probably WON'T replace, is your wiring... so get good power cable, speaker cable, and run THREE decent 2 channel RCA signal wires from the head unit to the hatch - one for the front speakers, one for the rear, and one for the sub. Even if you never use the extra two RCA cables, you'll still be happy you didn't pull apart the interior to run cables more than once!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Good advice about using quality cables and wires, and running extras ahead of time.
I'll have to look at the pods more closely, GrimJack. I just shelved them till its time to really dive into the interior.