important 1JZ rear main seal question

collin_1jz

Mar 12, 2009
vancouver
Hey guys..

just picked up a 1JZ-GTE vvti motor.. and put it on my truck brang it home and when i got home i realized the entire engines oil basically is all over the bed, leaking out from the rear main seal, now the engine was tilted back slightly is it leaking because of that or because its gone? and if it is do you have to tear the whole engine down to get to it? im a semi noob when it comes to 1JZ / piston motors.. always been a rotary owner , kinda pissed about this because i just payed 2500 for a complete motor / 5spd trans setup with ecu and all....help me out guys

thanks

ahmed

Jan 31, 2009
cleveland
it should not leak no matter if its tilted... i never changed a rear main seal but i believe its as simple as pulled old one off and puttin new one in. dont think u have to remove the oil pan. but all u have to do is pry old one out and slowly and evenly tap new one in.
not 100 percent sure.

collin_1jz

Mar 12, 2009
vancouver
thank god. my friend said its pop out and in too and he can change it for me, lol. engines out so it should be easy and im changing the oil pan to rear sump anyways.

thanks

collin_1jz

Mar 12, 2009
vancouver
hmm update.. took a more careful look and saw it is NOT the rear main, its this thing below it.. not sure what it is. want to help me out?

p1283566_1.jpg

black thing below rms

collin_1jz

Mar 12, 2009
vancouver
oooooh ok i looked even more carefully and yes it is a window.. haha.. the angle the engine was dripping oil onto the rubber cover for the window so it looked like it was coming from there..stupid..so are the rear main seals with the 7m gte interchangable with the 1jz?

Ryan_V

Mar 1, 2009
Austin
Buy a full gasket kit from Jeff Watson at Champion Toyota, Houston, Tx.

When you buy an import motor you need to know that it has miles on it..average..around 85k You need to be prepared to do the water pump, timing belt, and replace most of the engine o-ring/gaskets. it's not all that hard really.

Was the trans bolted to the block when it leaked?

There's holes all the way through the back of the crank where the flywheel bolts go. You have to use some FPIG or threadsealer/loctite when you install the flywheel bolts, so that oil doesn't seep out.

Remove the trans to get to the rear main. You can replace the rear main with the oil pan installed. Make sure all the surfaces are super dry and clean, and use some Toyota FIPG to seal it back up, and your good.

You need to replace the front and rear mains anyways..

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
Where the hell is the front main seal??!! In the toyota repair manual schematic all it just shows are the camshaft oil seals, rear main, and the one that goes into the front of the oil pump. Is that the front main? Or is it behind the camshaft timing gear (the small bottom one)?

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
the leak was from where the flywheel/flexplate bolts go into.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

nctexan;1518145 said:
Where the hell is the front main seal??!! In the toyota repair manual schematic all it just shows are the camshaft oil seals, rear main, and the one that goes into the front of the oil pump. Is that the front main? Or is it behind the camshaft timing gear (the small bottom one)?

it is both

the front main seal is the oil pump seal which is situated behind the timing belt gear

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Like others said you are probably just leaking oil out the flywheel bolt holes, which go all the way through, so nothing to worry about, but you should still do all your basic seals.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Gasket sets are $180.00 shipped from Champion Toyota to where I live, my gasket kit came in today! :) Worth every penny, but its not for me, but rather a customer. The price went back up sadly I bought my gasket set about 2 years ago and it was 150.00 shipped .

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
Bigzavs;1518800 said:
the leak was from where the flywheel/flexplate bolts go into.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

it is both

the front main seal is the oil pump seal which is situated behind the timing belt gear

That's what I thought. Now just to get the damn camshaft timing gear off. I orded the freakin SST I'm not messing around with this one.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Yes, the oil pump is built into the front of the engine and is turned by the front of the crank, the whole assembly is right behind the lower part of the timing belt.

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
jmcboost;1530938 said:
Yes, the oil pump is built into the front of the engine and is turned by the front of the crank, the whole assembly is right behind the lower part of the timing belt.

Ive got the timing belt pulley off, and am staring at the seal. How do I get the front main seal off without taking the oil pump off of the motor? I will have to pretty much destroy the seal right?