I'm Unemployed! YAY!

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
So as of 11/16, I'm without a job. Now, this is actually a good thing. The company I worked for, because they liked me, decided to give me about a month and a half warning, so I could prepare.

So, I'm going back to school, but this time I'm going for Auto Tech. One of the community colleges near by has a very good program, and to make it better, the severance package I was awarded pays for the first year of tuition. AND one of the new unemployment programs will allow me to collect unemployment for up to two years (the amount of time it will take me to complete the program) without having to look for a job while being a full time student.

Top that all off with my having moved in with a few of my best freinds a few months ago, PLUS a garage, the supra finally coming home, AND a new engine to put in next spring... and this is shaping up to be a REALLY good year.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share the good news!

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
IJ.;1461409 said:
As I wrote in my PM why on earth do you want to work on cars for a living??
Working on cars all the time is a total PITA.

I wouldn't have it any other way, I'm over halfway done with my 4 year degree in automotive. :biglaugh:
-AM3

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
If I was to be a mechanic it would be for marine or diesel...my roommate completed auto tech and got his hvac and inspection/emissions lisence...dude has had a crappy time getting a job and currently is making $10 an hour...fuck that!!!!!!

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I'm a diesel mech, I get paid well. but working on heavy shit all day and wedging above an Allison transmission is hard on the body after a while.

being a auto tech, no point what so ever. been there before and it will tear you apart on the bullshit that follows. If your going to be a wrench then go for something big. busting ass working on cars is not worth it.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
60%, capped at about $400 a week. But I'm only 26, and my bills aren't that bad.

I don't intend to spend the rest of my life as a wrench-for-hire, but it's the next step. I will also complete my bachelors in mechanical engineering, and plan to work toward a career helping to design cars. But a thorough understanding of cars is needed before you can try to improve them, so this will help me professionally as well as in my personal life, bringing the supra back to life.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
If engineering is your dream, I can't stress enough to work on that...
I could make some calls and see if we have any paid/unpaid internships available in NY if you'd like.

If you're really interested in mechanical eng, then I'd suggest instead of the automotive try to get into machining and work at a shop.

A year in a machine shop will leave you with more knowledge about GD&T, fit, assembly, and product design then you'll probably get in 10 years working as a automotive mechanic. (This will also greatly improve your quantitative skills w/ problem solving.)

Just my suggestions.
The job security is just way better.
Pay too. ;)