I'm Slowly Considering....

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
Well guys Ever since I bought this supra I currently own (which is my second one) I have been considering buying a secondary one for DD while the other is in the shop getting restored and toyed with. Until as of late, that was the plan. Then something happened the other day...

I had one of my friends stop over with his car, a '96 300zx 2+2 with a VG30DETT swap, all stock otherwise. Now the 2+2 have a perfect weight balance of 50/50, and have a STRONG after market performance scene, and well I am probably going to get creamed on here for saying, but on a cosmetic level have a bigger market then the MKIII's. Atleast in CF, which is somewhat of an obsession of mine. The car is absolutly stunning in Nissan's 99+ JDM 300zx Yellow, and black powder coated stock wheels. He is offering the car to me at a friendly price of only 6k, which I'm inclined to buy at this point.

Now I know some of you are thinking I'm hanging up my spurs on the Supra, or will atleast after I dig into the 300zx. But the truth is, I want to use the 300zx as a DD and keep it stock and still toy with the supra and make it track worthy. Especially considering that bluegrass motorsports is opening soon.

i don't really know where I'm going on this, i jsut figured I'd rant a we bit, and someone on here might want to listen to it, lmao.

Anyways i'm open to opinions. Anyone else here ever owned a Z32 TT? Anything i need to know about em?

Zer0

jo7mge

ENIGMA
Jul 19, 2007
Anaheim
300zx engines are the DEVIL there a bi*ch to work on if your doing work to it on your own, now if you got more money to dish out for a respectable mechanic that knows there zx engines then for all means get it, all in all there really nice cars my little bro has one but he is parting it out because its a bi*ch to work on and his is'nt even a twin turbo versioin......

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hmmm... negative points abound.

-require two of everything when you want to upgrade (turbo, intercoolers, ect ect ect)

-engine isn't as overbuild as the supra engine where, meaning a rebuild is in order if you want big power

And last but not least, the repair manuals should read like this

1) disconnect battery
2) remove engine

There is zero room to work on anything on those cars making them a nightmare to work on when they do have issues. That price is pretty reasonable....what's wrong with it?

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Since you say you're open to opinions, I'll say buy a gas saver for a DD. Use the 6k for the Supra is another option. I personally dislike the ZX. There's a guy in my area that has a twin turbo (stock) and he gets ride on all day by a 7M with the stock CT.

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
Hey if you wanted a DD then I would say the 300 is a good choice. I've got nothing against them but I never had one or know anyone with one. thats just my 2 cents.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
having helped change the valve cover gaskets on one of the NA 300ZX's, don't do it! get a 4 cycl 4dr gas sipper for then the supra is down or a light truck (better to pick up parts or tow if needed) 2, 2dr cars doesnt make alot of sense. 2 moddable cars makes even less

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
From what you have told me that you want to do with your Supra and considering what you want to use for your budget numbers I would invest
my 6 grand and save it for a rainy day. As far as car quality they can't
compare to the Toyota Supra in any year and that's from experience.
I've always considered them as Nissan's answer for a wantabe Supra.
That said you can see what's available for them at Stillen.com.

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
SWD Fredester 3;1127790 said:
From what you have told me that you want to do with your Supra and considering what you want to use for your budget numbers I would invest
my 6 grand and save it for a rainy day. As far as car quality they can't
compare to the Toyota Supra in any year and that's from experience.
I've always considered them as Nissan's answer for a wantabe Supra.
That said you can see what's available for them at Stillen.com.

They may not have many options for them at stillen, but I've found a site called Z1Motorsports, which for the zx is much like our suprasport.

Oh and to answer the question from earlier about what is wrong with it. the simple truth is noting. I don't think it has A/C. but i believe thats all from what I can remember. hell it even already has the JDM front Fascia and side skirts on it, he just informed of this when he showed up with it yesterday to show me.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Zer0DeGreeZ;1128315 said:
They may not have many options for them at stillen, but I've found a site called Z1Motorsports, which for the zx is much like our suprasport.

Oh and to answer the question from earlier about what is wrong with it. the simple truth is noting. I don't think it has A/C. but i believe thats all from what I can remember. hell it even already has the JDM front Fascia and side skirts on it, he just informed of this when he showed up with it yesterday to show me.

Steve Millen, aka Stillen MotorSports I believe is the biggest supporter of
Nissan in the country. They are based in Calif. and have a huge inventory
of parts and upgrades for the Z cars. You can even ship your car to them
for major engine mods, etc.

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
SWD Fredester 3;1128350 said:
Steve Millen, aka Stillen MotorSports I believe is the biggest supporter of
Nissan in the country. They are based in Calif. and have a huge inventory
of parts and upgrades for the Z cars. You can even ship your car to them
for major engine mods, etc.

Oh i thought you were trying to say maybe they didn't offer much. I never looked. I'm not much on stillen stuff.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
I have worked on them in the past and will tell you there a bitch!!! If a turbo goes out comes the engine. Need to change a valve cover on a turbo out comes the engine. The book time for a turbo re & re is somthing like 28 hours, so if you do not do your own work......well your screwed.

Do not even start on the electrical problems, there freeking nightmare. :nono:

You will also find parts for them are crazy $$

Jeremy

p.s. there like 4200lbs too

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Nice car, looks great, good power, handles well, I would own one...if I had a mechanic with a lift on retainer.

Unreasonably BAD choice for a DD with a supra for your project. There are far better things I can think of spending 6k on for a DD. Shit you can pick up a nice ST185 Alltrac for that or an SW20t both will get better mileage and have a lower maintenance cost...

I'm gonna go along with everyone else and say don't do it.