I'm out of ideas

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
ok i've applyed every where around me i think. how long should i wait to start calling to ask for interview consideration. i applyed to all the auto parts stores, fastfood, even retail stores. so i think tomorrow weather permitting eg.. severe thunderstorms i will go to the wharehouses considering thats my main working experiance, you know loading unloading trucks driving forklifts etc..

TomFraser

One thing i've learned through my job is that when I was applying for jobs I was doing it all wrong.

I applied at a local country club to be a cart kid / dishwasher (I was 15).
-Never got a call back

So I ended up painting that summer becuase my dad knew a guy.

At the end of summer I found out my mother was friends with the chef at the country club, and I was immediately hired.

I found out the chef needed someone the whole summer, but never got any applications. I also later found out the people taking applications were mostly throwing them out because it was easier.

I'm now a cook making much more than minimum wage, enjoying working.

The next summer instead of applying to dozens of places I walked right into a restaurant, found the chef, talked with him, and got a call back 2 days later.

When I am next looking for a job of this caliper (basically, kid work) I won't fill out an application. I will wait for a time they are not busy and walk right in to meet the boss.

Fast food, retail, small stores, etc. should (in my opinion) be approached the same way. Walk right in and talk with someone. If you come across as professional, not stupid, and make a good impression, then submit an application. They are more likely to remember you when doing hiring.

So go to those warehouses, find the people in charge of hiring, find the bosses, explain why you are invaluable, don't come across as a jackass ;) . Even if they are not hiring at the moment, when he fires someone he'll probabbly remember you first.

Just a thought.

I can't say this works for "real" jobs, but for the caliper of job you are looking for I think it is the best bet. Also remember it's coming from an 18 year old with next to no life experience ;)

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
^^ great idea

also, any hobbies or skills you have.. you can utilize to make money. for example.. im pretting good at building shit.. build shit for friends family etc all the time.. pay is not amazing but i enjoy doing it and enjoy the little bit of extra cash.

last resort.. sell your kidney or sell drugs haha

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
He's right forgo the applications talk with management first. I'm in management and I hire. I look over the people that come in and say "I need a job" or how I see it IE. "I am forced to find a place to be miserable and just make money"

Make them think you want to contribute your skills and are more than happy to be a peon, are stable at home and in your transportation. I hire these people, normally they turn out to be less problems down the road.
it sounds demeaning and it is/or can be, but this is how this level of work is.
I'm 26 and have passed this level of work for now (I have some life experience), every time I got a summer job it was family, friends, or walking in and talking to the store manager.

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
well i gues i'll just keep trying. i was a manager for arby's for a while but it just doesn't pay good. i was working a crap ton of hours a week any where between 70 to 85 hrs for 7 bucks an hour and that was their highest pay they could give me. this was back when i had just graduated. i'm used to making 15+ an hour not including over time. it just seems that nobody will give me what i'm worth anymore i dodn't want to settle for 9 an hour i can hardly support my family on that i know i did it. we wound up having to move out and back in my parents ugh.. maybe i should take this time and go back and finish my degree in buisness i only need 2 credits for it but having two kids and a wife i cant even get a student loan for it i wonder if i'll qualify for a pell grant ehh dunno i'll do some checking...

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
mercuryfreak200;1527606 said:
well i gues i'll just keep trying. i was a manager for arby's for a while but it just doesn't pay good. i was working a crap ton of hours a week any where between 70 to 85 hrs for 7 bucks an hour and that was their highest pay they could give me. this was back when i had just graduated. i'm used to making 15+ an hour not including over time. it just seems that nobody will give me what i'm worth anymore i dodn't want to settle for 9 an hour i can hardly support my family on that i know i did it. we wound up having to move out and back in my parents ugh.. maybe i should take this time and go back and finish my degree in buisness i only need 2 credits for it but having two kids and a wife i cant even get a student loan for it i wonder if i'll qualify for a pell grant ehh dunno i'll do some checking...

I have been laid off for about a month and a half. The jobs i can find only pay about 9hr.... I was making 16. I only need 12 credits to get my degree. I would honestly tell you to apply with http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ and go to your college or university and ask about financial aid. You have a family and i know in california most people with families get financial aid and cal grants. 2 credits shy from receiving you degree, why not apply for financial aid. Good luck.