I'm just not happy with my Supra so far..

NCSupraowner

Sep 29, 2008
NC
jdub;1241548 said:
Max on stock bolts is 70-75 ft/lbs...you do not want to re-use those ;)

If you get ARP hardware later, pay attention to the torque specs on the sheet that comes with them and use moly for lube. Do not use the "I heard" spec your buddies tell you.

I hear ya' and thanks for the info. I'm planning to "do it right" as soon as possible and was just keeping a band-aid on it for the time being. Hopefuly it will hold for a while longer.

NCSupraowner

Sep 29, 2008
NC
csr ma71;1241583 said:
If you time travelled to the past, that thing would walk it out, but everything is too competitive these days.

yeah, you're right...and there is too many @$$holes on forums nowadays too. :icon_bigg

take care.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
NCSupraowner;1241588 said:
yeah, you're right...and there is too many @$$holes on forums nowadays too. :icon_bigg

take care.

I may be an asshole but I DON'T build grenades....

Leave it alone until you can afford/have time to do it properly, cranking more boost/power into it as it is will only end one way and then it will cost you triple to repair...... :nono:

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
The one thing that bothers me here is....not the poster, but some of the replies

He doesn't need 550's, nor does he need a lexus AFM. A walbro might be a good idea though, and I'd say an AFPR would be a necessity

People have been bashing our stock intercooler since I've been into these cars for now 8 years...It's not the part that will be holding you back, it can do 400whp no problem.

As for the HG...It's a good idea before you bother upping the boost, mainly because if you detonate for whatever reason, the stocker won't hold for long even when retorqued. If you don't detonate, a stock retorque *should* be fine.

Oh and 99% of manual boost controllers suck. Get rid of that and get a proper controller before touching the boost levels anyways.

NCSupraowner

Sep 29, 2008
NC
mc_h;1241604 said:
The one thing that bothers me here is....not the poster, but some of the replies

He doesn't need 550's, nor does he need a lexus AFM. A walbro might be a good idea though, and I'd say an AFPR would be a necessity

People have been bashing our stock intercooler since I've been into these cars for now 8 years...It's not the part that will be holding you back, it can do 400whp no problem.

As for the HG...It's a good idea before you bother upping the boost, mainly because if you detonate for whatever reason, the stocker won't hold for long even when retorqued. If you don't detonate, a stock retorque *should* be fine.

Oh and 99% of manual boost controllers suck. Get rid of that and get a proper controller before touching the boost levels anyways.

This is the kind of info I was looking for. Something that isn't so extreme in one way or another, just a good baseline to start from. If I blow it up it's on me.

I'm not happy with the MBC as well, varies way too much. Apexi or Greddy is what I was planning.

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
Well put it this way...
If you plan on going much past 400whp, you'll want bigger injectors - But on a 57 trim, your 440's will do fine if they're in good shape.
You WILL want a walbro. And you don't want a lexus afm + safc combo, it's guesswork. With the AFPR you can tune past fuel cut anyways. If you don't want to invest in a wideband(although a good idea), make sure to tune it on the wideband at a dyno

The stock intercooler, I've seen do 450whp in person. It will heatsoak much faster than a larger aftermarket one but it's not CRUCIAL. IC pipes - well, you're relying on 20 year old rubber to hold boost right now, so that's self-explanitory

Boost controller - I've had good experience with the AVCR. The E01 is supposed to be quite similar in performance...If there's new ones out now, I apologize. Haven't been into the car for a while haha

NCSupraowner;1241611 said:
This is the kind of info I was looking for. Something that isn't so extreme in one way or another, just a good baseline to start from. If I blow it up it's on me.

I'm not happy with the MBC as well, varies way too much. Apexi or Greddy is what I was planning.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i have a 57 trim car and it spin's a set of 255's out back pretty easy.just getting into the boost,no clutch dropping needed.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
IJ.;1241597 said:
I may be an asshole but I DON'T build grenades....

Leave it alone until you can afford/have time to do it properly, cranking more boost/power into it as it is will only end one way and then it will cost you triple to repair...... :nono:

IJ - I coulda swore in another thread you recommended the OEM style composite gasket on cars that were only shooting for the mid 300's for horsepower? And I also remember seeing you or some of the other OG's on here saying the OEM gasket properly torqued will last for quite a long time without any detonation, but the detonation ruins the OEM gasket. Maybe I'll try to find the thread.

One thing I am wondering is how the 2jz's OEM head gasket doesnt have similar detonation = BHG problems since I believe the material used is the same...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dave: He has next to no fuel controls so the chances that he'll detonate it are better than even if he keeps pushing the envelope.

Yes a composite HG can be fine if kept out of detonation.

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
supradjza80;1241722 said:
One thing I am wondering is how the 2jz's OEM head gasket doesnt have similar detonation = BHG problems since I believe the material used is the same...

2J's use metal head gaskets stock.
And a big part of why the 7M has the HG problems that it does, is because of the torque specs - Not soley because it's a composite material. I've seen stock HG's torqued properly handle 400whp but they're very prone to failing under detonation which is why a good tune is key

Last edited by a moderator:

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
IJ.;1241734 said:
Dave: He has next to no fuel controls so the chances that he'll detonate it are better than even if he keeps pushing the envelope.

Yes a composite HG can be fine if kept out of detonation.

IJ - 10-4 just wanted to make sure I remembered correctly

2J's use metal head gaskets stock.

Ill quick take a look but I do not think the 2jz has a metal head gasket from the factory.

EDIT - I am incorrect, the 2j does have a metal headgasket.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
IJ.;1241750 said:
The composite HG acts as a burst panel during detonation and can save the engine from mechanical damage so can be a good thing.

Rgr 2j HG is an MLS stock.

Important note. HG jobs are a LOT cheaper and require much less down time than a full bottom end rebuild ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
2JZ-GE headgasket isn't metal IIRC, the 2JZ-GTE one is...

As long as he's on stock fuel WITHOUT an SAFC or some tuning device he'll be fine as fuel cut will step in way before damage is done.

Stock headgasket blows because it moves the sealing rings, so no retorque is going to help if it it blows. IJ is right about building a timebomb as you have no idea if it's shifted at all before you did the retorque.

NCSupraowner

Sep 29, 2008
NC
I verified the stock HG as best I could with a compression and antifreeze test before I turned the boost up at all. I'm maxing about about 12-13 psi right now, but I don't push it hard everyday by any means. I'm preparing for the next steps, I'm just not there yet..