Im in a real pickle

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
That and the Oil Cooler... when you get RK the Oil Filter usually goes into Bypass fairly quickly, this then allows all of the crap it would normally catch to run through the engine and get caught in all the nooks and crannies, you rebuild fire it up and it has loads of oil pressure at first this then flushes all the crap out into the nice fresh soft babbit surfaces of the bearings... :(

It will tell you which cylinder has died but judging by that Vid it's Knocked so personally I wouldn't run it again at all...

MadCow23

Restoring
Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati
shit. well thats no good. I'm starting to consider a 1jz swap now haha

what i don't understand is i changed the oil after the initial start up, and another 100 miles later. i thought it would be good after that. ran strong for 4,000 miles, and now all of the sudden this :/

MadCow23

Restoring
Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati
Thank you so much for the insight. I really appreciate it. Now i just need to find a way to get it home haha

at this point the engine is pretty much dead so I'm debating trying to go for the drive? with back up plans if the inevitable happens on the way

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
As I said I personally wouldn't run it again... Trailer it, you might get away with a cheap freshen up and then you can sell it and recover some costs, drive it more and you run the risk of kicking a leg out... and it being scrap..

MadCow23

Restoring
Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati
Great point. Come to think of it my step dad has a trailer that just might work. And i have a little Nissan Nx2000 back home i can drive in the mean while so i can't complain.

Rebuild, properly clean the crank and oil cooler. Maybe new rods and (depending on how it looks after rod nock round #2) A new or hopefully just machined crank. On top of all the things always going wrong with this Mk3 and maybe il have something going.

MadCow23

Restoring
Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati
Sorry it took so long to reply! Been super busy.
The lash was all in spec, but I did pull the engine and got it on a stand.

Cylinder #5 rod bearing was fucked, and so was the main bearing in the center.

u9a6epa2.jpg

ty5avejy.jpg

yja2e5et.jpg

Also painted my block
esuru2e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk