Im in a real pickle

MadCow23

Restoring
Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati
:3d_frown:

So fresh built motor, with about 4,000 miles on it... knocking again. but i need help figuring out exactly what is going on.

IMG_2379.jpg

those marks are on the opposite side of all my lobes, but the lobes themselves are clean.

I'm working o uploading a video to youtube now, il post a link in a comment when its up.

MadCow23

Restoring
Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati
OHH maybe my timing skipped a few degrees. Il have to check that out. I'm up at college right now so I can't really do too much to it.
Il pop that timing cover off and check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadCow23

Restoring
Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati
It's nothing special like that hah, but I just checked my timing to be sure and it's spot on from what i can tell.

Timing belts shouldn't have much play though should they? Mine felt pretty loose. I need to grab a new tensioner. My dumb ass didn't replace it.

But took it for a short drive. The noise isn't at all audible at cold idle. But then I hit 2.5k rpm and it was defiantly there. Then when i let it idle I could hear it again for a short period.. Then nothing. So I'm pretty much baffled. When I had the valve covers off I noticed the oil in there had a "shimmer" to it. Sort of unusual.
I work at valvoline so I see oil a lot and this seemed different. Almost like tiny particles of metal.. Think that could be from the wear marks on my cams?

The biggest concern I have is I'm up at School right now. And the drive home [ that I really need to make] is comming up on Wednesday. Think I should drive it like this? [ it's a 250 mile drive-highway]
Anything I can do to test and figure out what's going on? /- I'm planning on checking lash tomorrow. Would I be wasting my time?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
That Sounds like rod knock to me

And shimmering oil is metal shavings if by chance you don't have rod knock already you soon will if you leave that in there

MadCow23

Restoring
Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati
Btw it's a 7mgte in an 87 MK3. Rebuilt Becuase I had rod knock. But caught it early enough where the crank and rods measured out good still. So I'm hoping it's not that.

MadCow23

Restoring
Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati
atmperformance;1978758 said:
was a rebuilt, only other thing i could think of is the shim came loss in the bucket.

That's what I first thought, and that's why I popped the valve covers off. But didn't see anything loose

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
hopefully metal shavings are not stuck in your oil galleys, I've seen rod knock rebuilds get rod knock again from the block not being completely cleaned out correctly.

MadCow23

Restoring
Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati
Yeah that would be no fun. I Had awhile to wait during the rebuild for parts and money. So I cleaned it OCD style.

Think it's worth checking lash?

MadCow23

Restoring
Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati
im not saying you would! I'm just disappointed in my work quality i guess. didn't expect knock to come back.

manual. R154

MadCow23

Restoring
Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati
come to think of it, i did not.
and it makes sense how not doing that could have chewed a bearing up.

should i try unhooking the injector harness's one by one still? exactly what would that tell me?