ignition timing issues

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
I'm trying to figure out my friends problem with its ignition timing. The problem is the timing is way off when my friend took it to the smog station the guy told him the timing is at 29*. I short t and e1 to bypass the efi and check the timing it sat way pass 15*. I tried moving the cps and timing doesn't even get close the marks I did the search and didn't find or might have missed a problem like this. If any of you guys can help will be appreciated. The car runs and idles fine the car just got and engine rebuilt by mechanic that has experience with toyota motors.

thanks

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
still the same issues I checked everything. I don't what's making the timing so much advanced I can't figure out what's causing it. Anybody that can help with the same issues and have a clue how to resolve it will be appreciated

thanks

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
The CPS could be off a tooth but if you aligned everything up right then you would already know this and would have fixed it.

There is not way the timing could be off this much unless things are not aligned right.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I had this problem once. I must have re-aligned everything 15 times before I got it right. Just make sure the #1 cylinder it TDC and that the cams are timed to the engine properly. Then try re-aligning the CPS. It is very easy to move the CPS over one tooth accidentally as you put it back in.