Ignition Problems Need Help

Big Rob

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne
Car is a Z20 soarer with 1g-gte.

On Monday I was driving up a hill and suddenly the car started to loose power so I gave it a small amount of more throttle and the revs dropped and the car stopped just like the ignition was turned off.

On initial inspection I pulled the dizzy cap off and the bolt retaining the rotor button was stuck to one of the reluctor pickup magnets.
I replaced the the rotor button that was in as fair shape as mine and a new dizzy cap which was close to new...............nothing.

Checked the igniter/coil for spark and nothing. The coil resistances were all in spec but I just replaced the unit and still the car doesn't start nor does there look like the igniter/coil pack is doing anything.

I checked for 12v at the igniter and it appears to be receiving power.
The ECU is not throwing any codes.
The starter motor does sound like it is under less load than usual when starting. It occasionally sounds like the invex gear is not throwing but I have been told that the engine fan is turning while cranking.

Right now I have no idea what to do, I guess the issues sounds like it is upstream of the igniter between the ecu bit I have no idea how to test that.

Suggestions?

Rob

Big Rob

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne
Today I pulled the upper timing cover off, although the belt isn't snapped it has about half an inch of deflection with no applied force. It is also covered in cracks so I will replace it.

But could this be the cause of my problems, I still don't see how this will stop the igniter from functioning?

I will do a visual inspection of the ecu tomorrow.

Rob

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
Oh thought it would have been broken. If it skipped a cog you would think it woudl still
run. That was my best shot. Goodluck. muzy

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
My first MK2 had a weak tension spring on the timing belt,and before I fixed that it would occasionally jump one tooth,car would not even think about starting.
I too would check timing,Have spun a key out of the crank just driving down the highway,car acted the same way as you describe,lost power,then just shut off.
I have no knowledge of the 1G ignition system,so I would be of no help in that department.Good luck.

Big Rob

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne
Crank timing pulley ended up doing a burn out on the timing belt, subsequently it was missing 10 - 15 teeth. Problem solved!

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
Big Rob;1254855 said:
Crank timing pulley ended up doing a burn out on the timing belt, subsequently it was missing 10 - 15 teeth. Problem solved!
I win.:icon_bigg Glad you found it. Hmmm none interference I do believe. muzy