Igniter Diagnostic

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Ok, well I have been having code 14 so I went out and tested my igniter today. I did the 3v test to test on the coil pack side if sending 3 volts would actually cause any continuity, it worked on coil pack C (2 and 5) reading roughly 8.xx ohms for a few seconds then Out of Limit... I tested it on both coil pack A and B and they read nothing, I am correct in assuming that this test shows the igniter is not properly functioning.

The reason I ask is because we got the car running on ether, and it was firing on more then 2 pistons, so how are we going to assume that the igniter is bad when the car actually ran on at least 4 cylinders for a good 30 seconds with ether

IG_015.gif

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Just barely I might add. I would've been quicker but every time I need to find those threads I have to look your damn handle up because it's too confusing for me to remember ;)

This stuff needs to be a sticky up in reference....

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Ok... how is that illustrated image from the TSRM look anything like your test picture

image shows you keeping the 6 pin connector plugged in yet you are testing it?

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
Don't get lost on that. It may be confusing, but I show it testing the same signal wire at the 4 pin connector for the coil pack pig tail. I found out that those tabs on the coil pack connectors break off very easy :mad:

The important part you're missing is connector Q, explained here:
jetjock said:

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Exactly. The entire point of the test is to provide the proper two bit coil identification signal while triggering IGt and then look for the correct coil driver to momentarily switch on. It may seem confusing but as you said, reading comprehension is critical.