If yur making BIG F'n power, please look, I have ???s

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
group a supra said:
but will it weaken anything else in the process i dont fancy shagging the only group a block/head i have to find out if you know what i mean

well not for anything but the 12mm/ 1/2 studs have been shown to hold the power. We honestly don't need an upgrade :)

the 2jz guys using the small 10mm bolt on the other hand do.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
IJ. said:
Steve: I'm happy at 12mm.

Wayne: I can't see the nut/washer assembly clearing as well as I think one of the water passages is close.

under the head? I would think where the current bolt/studs clamps they would not put any water passages under that. :icon_ques

fstoy

Soon to be Evil Twin
Mar 30, 2005
Texas
Fuck 700 or 800 on spray. Shoot for well over 1000 at the wheels. I had kicked it around for awhile...Wanted to run a GT47-80 like the mkiv guys.

But i have a family and a morgage, and dont feel right about putting my car first.

Like its been said, get all the parts, and a GOOD tuner! I recomend Justin Nenni. he is from Austin TX, buy will fly anywhere in the US to tune cars. He has tuned many supra to well past the 1100 hp mark. He is a great guy.

PM me if you need his number

David

thesupraman

Smirker
May 15, 2005
Frenchtown, NJ
AEM EMS base maps have VERY agressive timing curves. They get away with it by setting the fuel curve to run like 9.5:1 afr. My friend just cracked 3 pistons in his 3S-GTE MR2. He tried tuning it himself on the street. We kept an eye on the afr's and gradually dropped it down to the desired 12:1, but forgot to monitor the knock sensor in the process (oops!). Definately take it to a competent tuner.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
GrimJack said:
I'd be concerned with well over 1000 at the wheels. That fellow from Europe building the rail dragster was reliably corkscrewing stock cranks at an estimated 1200+.

Why would anyone that wants to drive on the street want that much power? Maybe I'm just getting old, but that just f'n nuts.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
GrimJack said:
I'd be concerned with well over 1000 at the wheels. That fellow from Europe building the rail dragster was reliably corkscrewing stock cranks at an estimated 1200+.
He posted an explanation on SF Dave!

Seems he'd diluted the oil with fuel and methanol and fried a bearing... not too many cranks will stay straight when that happens!

fstoy

Soon to be Evil Twin
Mar 30, 2005
Texas
rakkasan said:
Why would anyone that wants to drive on the street want that much power? Maybe I'm just getting old, but that just f'n nuts.

Sure its nuts, thats all the more reason to do it!

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
David, honestly, 1000+ would just scare me... I want the car streetable, but I want to compete/beat the Cobras, Z06s, EVOs, and other big power cars around here...

Im not tapping out 14mm head bolts, sorry... The 12s are fine, and until I hear about someone lifting the head off a 7M, I'll keep the 12s...

Anyway, the motor will be coming out soon... And I'll be sure to start my very own "REIGN'S REBUILD" thread... :D:D:D I'll have questions and need guidance...

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
700+ is silly on the street, trust me, nevermind 1000. 70 to 130 faster than you can say "Shit, was that a cop?" while your tires are spinning in 4th. People get scared and pull off the road if you open it next to them...

Lifting the head goes back to tuning. Head stud size doesn't seem to matter much.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Reign_Maker said:
David, honestly, 1000+ would just scare me... I want the car streetable, but I want to compete/beat the Cobras, Z06s, EVOs, and other big power cars around here...

Im not tapping out 14mm head bolts, sorry... The 12s are fine, and until I hear about someone lifting the head off a 7M, I'll keep the 12s...

Anyway, the motor will be coming out soon... And I'll be sure to start my very own "REIGN'S REBUILD" thread... :D:D:D I'll have questions and need guidance...

no need to do 14mm :p read my comments on 12mm / 1/2" studs. They are about the same with the half inch studs being .03" bigger in diameter. That is it :)

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
I know Figgie, I was agreeing with you... Im NOT going to tap out to 14mm... If I actually blow the head off with 12mm studs, then I'll come tell everyone... :D:D:D

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Reign_Maker said:
I know Figgie, I was agreeing with you... Im NOT going to tap out to 14mm... If I actually blow the head off with 12mm studs, then I'll come tell everyone... :D:D:D

yes please do and get picture too..

i never seen a head blown off in a while (top fuel not withstanding ;) )