if you own a Mishimoto rad for you Supra, please read this.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Those of you who posted issues, expect a PM from a Mishimoto rep. We're trying to find a trend, why some aren't experiencing this and some are.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
IwantMKIII;1601800 said:
^only way bending that lip would work is if you had custom rad top mounts.

or drill another set of holes on the rad. mounts so it pulls the radiator closer.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
IwantMKIII;1602086 said:
Having owned both, besides this issue, mishimoto is superior in performance. Build quality may lack compared to a fluidyne, helll mine actually lasted through a fire, but the point of a performance radiator is to perform and the fluidyne simply lacks in that category especially for the price.

i find that hard to believe when i know a few people with high horsepower 7ms with fluidyne and they are nothing but happy...i know some one with a 400hp 7m hes been running his for 5 years no problems...good luck hope you guys figuer all this out...

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
dubsupra209;1602157 said:
i find that hard to believe when i know a few people with high horsepower 7ms with fluidyne and they are nothing but happy...i know some one with a 400hp 7m hes been running his for 5 years no problems...good luck hope you guys figuer all this out...

They aren't complaining because all they have to go by most likely is the stock rad's performance. I know, I've owned and used a fluidyne for 2 years under many many conditions. The bottom line is the fluidyne simply does not have the cooling capacity of the Mishimoto. It could not and will not match it, both from personal experience and on paper. My car is potentially 400+whp and daily driven vehicle, so don't bring power into it, not that power output truly matters in most, normal, cases. In no way am I suggesting its a bad radiator, but for the money, it simply does not perform like it should.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, and the mishimoto is obviously too large and that's where the cooling capacity comes from...

As for a trend, early square mounts vs the later fluid filled ones comes to mind...

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
IwantMKIII;1602188 said:
They aren't complaining because all they have to go by most likely is the stock rad's performance. I know, I've owned and used a fluidyne for 2 years under many many conditions. The bottom line is the fluidyne simply does not have the cooling capacity of the Mishimoto. It could not and will not match it, both from personal experience and on paper. My car is potentially 400+whp and daily driven vehicle, so don't bring power into it, not that power output truly matters in most, normal, cases. In no way am I suggesting its a bad radiator, but for the money, it simply does not perform like it should.

well shit if i have any problems with my fluidyne since my car is a dd and easily 300 plus...ill post a thread lol....

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
dubsupra209;1602203 said:
well shit if i have any problems with my fluidyne since my car is a dd and easily 300 plus...ill post a thread lol....

oh just shut up! god you have no clue as to what the thread is about!!! christ

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Poodles;1602197 said:
Yes, and the mishimoto is obviously too large and that's where the cooling capacity comes from...

As for a trend, early square mounts vs the later fluid filled ones comes to mind...

Well since Motor mounts are a potential issue/cause of the problem, I will post up that my 92 has 98 mk4 mounts on it that are only a year old. The car has seen a few track days since the rad install along with a boat load of hard street driving without issue. Tomorrow I will measure my fan blade to rad core clearance and post it up.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Thanks, I know mine was very small. Even cut back I can't fit my finger tip in between that and the end tank. Be sure to get the distance to the end tank and not necessarily just the core as its the end tank causing the issue.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
87, original mounts, replacement shroud.

The shroud took a hit and has a couple scrape marks inside. Not like A.Jays pictures, more like it's just been rubbing and has a couple cracks.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^good to know! Thanks! I've been working with a Mishimoto rep directly to aid in fixing this issue. In the mean time, keep a close on it and I would advise against long road trips so you don't get stuck anywhere.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Ended up looking a bit closer. The hit was from the shroud being loose where the upper driver side shroud mounting tab split and cracked. With the shroud properly held back I have 1/2"+ of clearance.

TRG22

May 18, 2007
UK
Mishimoto with custom mounts and engine on solid mounts, one fan blade sheared off about half way up and rad looked like this.

p1604144_1.jpg

Going to see if it can be repaired, you never know!
If this is hapening as regular as it appears perhaps Mishimoto should take some form of responsibility!

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
mkiii222;1603944 said:
Ended up looking a bit closer. The hit was from the shroud being loose where the upper driver side shroud mounting tab split and cracked. With the shroud properly held back I have 1/2"+ of clearance.

Maybe it was cracked because it got hit....

TRG22;1604144 said:
Mishimoto with custom mounts and engine on solid mounts, one fan blade sheared off about half way up and rad looked like this.

p1604152_1.jpg

Going to see if it can be repaired, you never know!
If this is hapening as regular as it appears perhaps Mishimoto should take some form of responsibility!

They are taking full responsibility so far, they are coordinating meetings to redesign. I have been in close contact with them and feeding them suggestions. Thanks for the post. This eliminates the idea that mounts are the issue, seems to be primarily fan flex.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IwantMKIII;1604152 said:
Maybe it was cracked because it got hit....

They are taking full responsibility so far, they are coordinating meetings to redesign. I have been in close contact with them and feeding them suggestions. Thanks for the post. This eliminates the idea that mounts are the issue, seems to be primarily fan flex.
Gotta admire that sort of service it's rare these days!