If you don't love dogs, you won't understand...

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Well, it's been a rather hard year for my family. First of all, I know other people have lost more than what I have, and I feel for them as well. Before my wife and I were able to have our own children, we had dogs. Three of them, in fact. Turns out a Jeep Cherokee isn't as big as we thought it was.

Shortly after we moved to where we are now, our yellow lab passed away. We were incredibly sad because we just didn't see it coming. She had played hard all week, had a full dinner, and fell asleep on her dog bed next to ours and just didn't wake up the next day. She was only 9 years old, so we just didn't think her time was close.

We had just gotten to the point where we could laugh and talk about her and all her quirks when we found out our chocolate lab has cancer. And she's only 10. I don't know the exact name, but it had completely surrounded her spleen and some was on her neck. The spleen was removed and as much of the rest as possible. Unfortunately, instead of the 3-6 months the vet thought she might have, it's only been about 3 weeks and she is already hurting again pretty bad. She has problems with hind end control and has lost her appetite and energy level. This to me almost hurts more because she was such a happy dog. We had her to the vet today and some tests our being run to see if her liver is in failure. If it is, we get to make one of the hardest decisions someone has to make who loves their pets.

I know that with pet ownership comes all the happiness and joy that they bring and that this happens eventually, it just sucks when it does. I just wanted to use this opportunity to remind everyone to cherish what you have today, because you never know what tomorrow might bring. We have truly been blessed with our companions and here are some pics of our babies...

Attachments

• IM000220.jpg
    IM000220.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IM000560.jpg
    IM000560.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IM000219.jpg
    IM000219.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-25-02 021.jpg
    2-25-02 021.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 009_9-784982.jpg
    009_9-784982.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 23

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Oh my God, man. Lane, that's damn horrible. I'm sorry man :( As a fellow dog lover, I know what you're going through (one of the hardest things I dealt with as a child was loosing the dog I grew up with, my German Shepard, Gator)

Your sig really says it all.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
DT and John, thank you. That's another reason I was hoping you could work your magic with the hard drive was because a lot of pictures of the dogs are on there, too.

The other thing I love about these guys is how loyal they are. I sometimes wondered if they would be the type to defend the family if I was gone. One time after coming back home late one night after being gone for over a month, I didn't call first to let my wife know I was on my way.

I made it into the house and only got one foot on the stairs when I heard the noise nobody probably wants to hear. I can't describe the growl or grumble that came out of their throats, but it was one of those low, deep from the chest noises that only a dog can make before it rips you apart. I had never heard them or seen them do that before. Needless to say, I turned on a light quick and when they saw it was me, they did their typical thing of laying the ears back and wagging their tails so hard their rumps were swinging.

After that, I never worried about someone getting into the house when I was gone. It just kills me right now because we just got the chocolate lab's knee repaired and she was just getting the point where she was running full speed and enjoying fetch again.

Our chocolate lab is also the one who knows when you don't feel good and will crawl up into your lap when you sit down. It was always like she was sort of psychic.

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
Last November I had to put my dog down. I had raised him since he was 4 months old. He passed away at 15 years old. He had juvenile mange as a year old dog.. We had been fighting it for 14 years and he built a resistance to treatment. It was the hardest thing I had to do. I cried so hard when they put him down. Sometimes its for the better to put them down before they die, that way they're in no pain. Please accept my condolences, Furious.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Lane, I've lost a couple over my lifetime. It's never easy.

Remember the good times man.

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
Lane, I am so very sorry for your pain and loss. It's very hard losing dogs, especially ones you've had for so long.

I've lost a few in my (relatively short) life. The worst, for me, though, was Peanut, one of our wolf hybrids. She was born in my closet, in the beginning of January. She was the runt of the litter, and when she was about 2 weeks old, got herself wedged underneath a nightstand I had stored in there. We got her out and got her warmed up, but we noticed she was having trouble feeding from Kiera, her mother. The next day, when we took the puppies to the vet for their checkups, we found out she had a heart murmur and a cleft pallet. The vet said she wouldn't live to see 4 weeks old. I tube fed her until she was about 3 months old, and she lived to be 6 years old. She was special - she would walk in circles, had no attention span, and would randomly walk into the fences or fall off the ramp going into the shed. I found her dead in the backyard one night when I went out to feed her. I cried so hard and loudly that the neighbors heard me. I was dating John at the time, and he drove all the way up from Wildwood at midnight to comfort me. I ended up missing 2 days of school, I was so distraught.

I fear the day when we lose Montana.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Sorry to hear man, it always hurts when someone you love leaves. I know what your going through. My first dog had a bad reacton to a vets shot and died on their table, and my second died due to liver cancer less than a year later.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Hang in there man, just do the best you can and make the best decision for all involved. I cried more when my Border Collie mix died than when my Great Uncle died. Like SC said remember the good times.

xms

Jan 25, 2006
tx
I know the feeling all to much to lose a pet that was close to my heart my chow chow BEAR one day i will see him again

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
I'm deeply sorry for your loss bro, I can't imagine the heartache. I've had Roxy a year now, and I dread the day (hopefully years off yet) that I lose her....I'm totally in love with that dog...lol. As was mentioned though, keep your chin up and remember the good times.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
As sad as you are i can assure you that your dog was the lucky one to have a owner who cared so much as you and your partner obviously have for it.
I too lost a german shepard that was extremely close to me and have never been the same since, dogs can teach you so much and give so much support somehow at times when life life really sucks, yes i too believe that they have a sense for that kind of thing that we could never understand.
I now own a very tough dog that i bought of a pig hunter that had always had a tough life up until now but even he has a soft side and still has that compassionate soul that all good dogs seem to have.
I understand your loss and hope in time you find another dog, even though it will never replace what you lost but will hopefully substitute the loss with it's own quirky personalities.!

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I don't even know how to type this, but thanks everyone for your support. Today really was one of the hardest days of my life. We decided to have her put to sleep today and we just got back. I'm pretty much a wreck. I know it'll pass with some time, but I do remember what an awesome pair of dogs both of our labs were. Not to mention how blessed we were to have two such loyal, loving companions. Our Great Dane is still with us, so we're not lacking for puppy love.

Yesterday she got to have some bacon, eggs, and waffle with her breakfast and she was still getting around okay. Her health was still on a downward trend, though. She was having trouble walking and short of breath. I've been needing to carry her up and down the stairs for bed because she has been losing her hind end control. This morning, she couldn't really stand up to eat and she tried to drag herself across the floor to get to her bowl. That pretty much broke my heart and made me realize what I had to do.

She wasn't the same happy loving dog anymore. She was in pain, she was uncomfortable, and she couldn't make herself stand. While she had a strong heart and so much left to give, I couldn't bear the thought of her living out the rest of her time in pain and unable to move on her own. We knew that there was nothing to cure her and anything we did would only prolong the inevitable.

So at 1200 today our vet put her to sleep. My wife and I got to be in the room with her and that truly is a pain I don't wish on anyone. I will say that it was a comfort to know she could finally sleep at peace.

I said it at the beginning and I'll say it again, treasure what you have because you don't know when it might be gone. Now I'm going to post a few more pics of some of the best friends I've had, cuddle my Dane, and remember the good times...

Attachments

• IM000367.jpg
    IM000367.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IM000485.jpg
    IM000485.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IM000503.jpg
    IM000503.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IM000214.jpg
    IM000214.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-25-02 018.jpg
    2-25-02 018.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 7

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Well, as one of our vet techs put it, we've had a hard year. Today while on a short walk outside our Great Dane had a heart attack. We've now lost all three of our dogs in 7 months. These pups have been in our lives since we have been married. They were truly members of our family and led great lives. I can honestly say that I do think our Storm was slightly depressed since the loss of the labs and perhaps that had something to do with it. I'll never know...

What I do know is that he has had great times playing outside and inside, hanging out with our kids, enjoying walks, hanging out in the sunbeam, and generally living the great life of the dog. He passed on while by a lake on a wooded trail enjoying the outdoors. It also highlights that there are still good people in the world. Being 160 pounds, I couldn't carry him up the hill by myself. 3 guys were kind enough to help me get him up a hill and into our truck. To them I give thanks.

I will remember them always and treasure the joy they brought into our lives. Right now my wife and I are coping with what to do with all of our dog stuff with no dogs. I'm sure in a few weeks we'll have some more running around the house, but right now we're pretty numb.

I never thought waking up today that I'd have to tell him good-bye, but at least we were there with him in the end and he was doing what he loved to do. If only I am so lucky. Again treasure what you have today because it might not always be there.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
:( I'm so sorry, man. That's absolutely terrible! I've got a 9yr old lab, I'm not sure how I would cope with losing him.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
A few people might recall an old post of mine from a few years back where I lost my cat, Eddie. I lean more towards "cat person", but I totally understand losing what you [if you are anything like me in regards to pets] consider to be a cross between a kid and a friend. They make life more interesting, and they develop personalities. Most of my pets have also seemed to sense when I was not feeling well and would actually pay me more attention, to try and cheer me up or "fix" me, when I was sick or sad. I'm sure there are many people here who have lost pets who understand how you feel. Those who do, are probably very sorry for your loss. You don't know just how "connected" you are to your pets until you lose one. I don't know if you are going to bury, cremate, or whatever other option there may be, but whatever you do may help you get closure.
It is nice to see that you will consider eventually getting another pet, but I understand "being numb" for awhile. Nothing can replace your others, and it took me a few years before I did, but it does feel good to have another little companion. You do need your time to grieve. :(