If injectors sit too long, will they go bad?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Ok, I have RC Eng 1000cc injectors that have been installed in the motor, however, they have never been run and have been in the motor for over a year... I was talking to a friend, and he was saying that if you let injectors sit for too long with out running them, the valve inside sticks shut... I've never heard this before, but then again, I've never had injectors just sittin around this long before either...

Also, my motor has been assembled for over a year and not turned... Should I turn it?

BTW: YES, Im finally getting motivated to work on the beotch again, so help a bruthuh out... :naughty:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
if they never had fuel threw them I'm sure they are just fine! Fuel can jell when it gets old and thats what makes sticky injectors (and dirt)....I'm sure your fine...hell as far as you know the injectors could have set on a shelf for a year before you bought them.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Reign,

stick shut due to what cause? Things just don't break for the sake of breaking ;) If there was no fuel through them, then they will work just peachy keen.

spoolint78

Representing T.O
Mar 30, 2005
T.O
i don't see a problem with it.
As someone else mentioned, they probably sat on the shelves months before someone purchased them.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I wouldn't turn that motor if it's sat for that long.

I'd hazard a gues and say the assembly lube you used has pretty much dripped down into the pan by now from just about everywhere you've applied it.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
I can get them flowed for free, just wondered if I really needed to since they were brand new...

As for the motor:Screamer, what do you suggest? Fill with oil, hand turn it?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
You coul fill it with oil and let it drip down, but I don't think it'll help the rod or main bearings any.

I'd manuall pump the oil up through the block just like the stock pump would, but that's probably over kill and would be quite messy if you don't have something to catch the oil with when it flows back down.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Yeah, I was always worried about letting it sit for so long...

See, on old fords and chevys you can pull the distributor and put a priming shaft in there and use a drill to spin the oil pump... Is there a way to do that on the 7M? Prime the pump with out turning over the motor?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Reign_Maker;1000728 said:

See, on old fords and chevys you can pull the distributor and put a priming shaft in there and use a drill to spin the oil pump... Is there a way to do that on the 7M? Prime the pump with out turning over the motor?

hrm did people pour oil into where the filter sits?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Reign_Maker;1000728 said:

Well there is a way but it requires access to the front of the motor. Specifically turning the oil pump drive gear by taking the timing belt off. Otherwise turning the motor over is the same thing. Just make sure to disconnect the fuel inj, and ignition system.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I am going to have to disagree on the assembly lube thing. All the assembly lube products Ive used are thick enough to stay where they are put. Maybe I could see it migrating a little to bottom of a cam lobe but I highly doubt its going to run out from bearing surfaces.

Having said that, I know you dont want to take any chances with that motor, so perhaps accessing the drive gear behind the timing cover and turning the pump would be a good idea shortly before you are ready to start it.

If it were me I would ask J-dub or IJ

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Jdub, it wasnt oil, it was red, I know that, and it was almost like glue or syrup consistency... It was really thick...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Sounds like Red Line...you're fine Jake. I still would pull the EFI fuse and turn it over till you get a pressure indication.
It will prime the turbo too ;)

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
jdub;1000873 said:
Sounds like Red Line...you're fine Jake. I still would pull the EFI fuse and turn it over till you get a pressure indication.
It will prime the turbo too ;)
when i do that i also do a compression check with all the plugs out :D