Idles Great AFM/unplugged but cant throttle Idles Awful with AFM plugged in.

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
Now I'm just super confused here so I need some help if possible ^^. And If it's a simple as a get a new AFM that's fine but just hoping for explanation maybe to ease my heartache.
So here goes! Car was running absolutely fantastic little over a week ago, Until I was in 4th gear got into it and it did the go pause go pause and then it gave me the code 34 if i'm remembering correctly. Turbo pressure and fuel cut.
I am only running the 8lb boost on the 89 7mgte so i think to my self ill check out the turbo. Last week I replaced the TEMS with coil-overs removed the turbo and notice a crack in the manifold that attaches to the down pipe. So I buy a new one. Rebuild the turbo with drift motion kit and new standard CT26 manifold. Turbo spins beautifully no wobble EXCELLENT I SAY! I also in the Meantime replaced the fuel filter because the old one was 25 years old. (<--I read the article about fuel filter myth :p I understand it may have been fine) back to the car! I reassemble turbo onto car everything looks good.
I start the car bam idles fine. I let it sit while the Hood is open and after a few min I hand operate the throttle just a little and it immediately sucks air and losses power. I let throttle go it resumes idle. Did this twice after the second time it started to Idle Awfully. I check Timing everything ok 0 at 12 and when it was decently idling before the second time I gave it throttle it was at 10 on idle.
turn off car and re start it. it then would either fire clean sounding then die or a few times it would idle bad, and I would have to feather gas to keep kind of running.
I now unplug the AFM starts great idles amazing but If i give it any throttle it will die.
IS this just the AFM? or am I looking at a class 6 quagmire?

EDIT - NO CEL's

Last edited:

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
oh lord I am a narb. Never mind. I had the exhaust tube on the turbo push up to it but not clamped. Lesson learned double check hose clamps. I assume IT popped it off after the throttle touch. I went to shower and was going through each step and then I was like....oh ma god. (insert Face palm here)
re attached the tube started it surprise surprise sounded great and throttle works 0.o