idle wierd, battery connection?

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
Ok so here is what is going on.

my car (87 supra 5 speed targa turbo, exhaust, boost controller, intake , t elbow, someother stuff) idles at about 1000-1100 rpms. Its been that way since i got it, 1.5 years ago. Its has 83000 on it.

lately, Ive been having problems with the idle. when i let of the gas, it will drop down to about 300 rpms, and then back up to normal. It only happens when you let off the gas in a certain way. like if you are accelerating and let off. but if you are just coasting and let off, it goes back to idle fine.

I know I have to check the tps, and Idle speed control valve thingy.

When the problem started happening, it seemed my battery was beginning to go. it did finally go this weekend when i was home from school.
i put a new one in, and it still did it.

Ok here is the question part and why I think is has somehting to do with the battery. I did some cherios after it rained, and the small wire connecting to the positive broke off. battery sliding around a little i guess. I wasnt at home so i rigged something up. with it like this, the car idled at 800 rpms, it still had the problem, but that wire screwed with the idle. does that wire have anything to do with the idle or what could b ewrong

thanks for reading my long pain in the ass post, and for any help
Joe

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I think that part is a main-like power lead to the whole EFI system. So you should definitly look into a way to get that fixed.

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
I can fix it pretty easily, just have to splice the wire together. it just broke near the battery cause of all the movement of the battery.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
And I ask you, "you silly english man", why was you battery not properly secured???? Are you too poor to get, at the least, a universal battery tie-down??? If you answer yes to that, you had just better sell the Supra, as you will NOT be able to 'support' it. They are a very 'needy' car !!:naughty:

No, you say, that's not it. You were just too lazy??:icon_evil

I have NO simpathy for you.:biglaugh: Suffer !!!:icon_bigg

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
lol, I know I know
I had a bigger battery that fit snug if it. but it wend dead and I just put a smaller one in there for the day. if was raining and the garage was full of my dads stuff. so no im not to poor, and I know its my fault.
Joe