Idle Question with Video

OkieRA29

Oct 22, 2008
Oklahoma City
Okay, the supra is idling low, like 5-700. No surging, it does not seem to stumble on accel. Power seems decent, it is a stock 7MGE after all... It doesn't idle, it burbles. Anyway, I decided to check the ISC, everything specs out with an Ohm meter per the TSRM. I haven't checked the TPS yet. I am thinking either the distributor is one tooth off from the last time the head was off, or the ISC is not functioning. Anyway, here is the video.
You will need the latest Flashplayer ap installed to view it.

The distributor is turned as far to the left/down as it will go. I have a timing light, but cannot find any timing marks. While I know I will not get neck-snapping power out of this. I do know that does not run like she should. Where should the timing marks be? I do not see a pointer and such on the balancer or any of the pulleys. I can time my wife's camry without any issues. Can I get some tips or hints? After watching the video a couple of times, I am begining to think that it is a vaccum leak. It seems to be surging. I haven't heard that before now.
TIA

Ken

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
OkieRA29;1237486 said:
Okay, the supra is idling low, like 5-700. No surging, it does not seem to stumble on accel. Power seems decent, it is a stock 7MGE after all... It doesn't idle, it burbles. Anyway, I decided to check the ISC, everything specs out with an Ohm meter per the TSRM. I haven't checked the TPS yet. I am thinking either the distributor is one tooth off from the last time the head was off, or the ISC is not functioning. Anyway, here is the video.
You will need the latest Flashplayer ap installed to view it.

The distributor is turned as far to the left/down as it will go. I have a timing light, but cannot find any timing marks. While I know I will not get neck-snapping power out of this. I do know that does not run like she should. Where should the timing marks be? I do not see a pointer and such on the balancer or any of the pulleys. I can time my wife's camry without any issues. Can I get some tips or hints? After watching the video a couple of times, I am begining to think that it is a vaccum leak. It seems to be surging. I haven't heard that before now.
TIA

Ken
You might need to invest in new sparkplug wires.seems that you have a short in the i believe the #2 sparkplug wire.you can buy the wires on ebay for a decent price.That should clear the problem.Did you check for codes?

OkieRA29

Oct 22, 2008
Oklahoma City
Well, that is the inductive(??) lead for the timing light. It is attached to the #1 spark plug lead in the video. I can't imagine that the wires would be bad... they looked great at the junkyard...:icon_razz I will look for new wires with the next paycheck and see if that helps. Anybody have any other suggestions? Is there a way to clean the ICS or the TPS? I know I can do that with the wife's camry and it usually helps a ton.

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
OkieRA29;1238051 said:
Well, that is the inductive(??) lead for the timing light. It is attached to the #1 spark plug lead in the video. I can't imagine that the wires would be bad... they looked great at the junkyard...:icon_razz I will look for new wires with the next paycheck and see if that helps. Anybody have any other suggestions? Is there a way to clean the ICS or the TPS? I know I can do that with the wife's camry and it usually helps a ton.
da,thats rite,when you check the timing with the light you attach it to the #1 sparkplug wire.But iv'e never seen the idle change when you take off the light part that attaches to the #1.definitly get plugs and check your distributor.did you check to see if any codes pop up?

OkieRA29

Oct 22, 2008
Oklahoma City
I didn't have a chance to check for codes yet. I didn't get home from work till late last night so car stuff was out of the question. I will try to check codes today and see if I get any.

OkieRA29

Oct 22, 2008
Oklahoma City
Okay, when I went home for lunch, I pulled the cover off the supra and ran the code check. I got code 43.
Diagnosis

* No "STA" signal to ECU until engine speed reaches 800RPM with vehicle not moving.

Trouble Area

* Ignition switch circuit.
* Ignition switch
* ECU

I believe that this may be from a couple of different things. When I got the car it did not have a key or an ignition switch. The wiring harness to the ignition switch had been butchered. I got a good harnes end from a parts supra and soldered and butt-spliced it in. I think that this is were this code is being thrown from. If it was the ECU, I would think that it would throw a bunch more codes. I am gonna try and replace the plug wires and clean the ICS and the TPS then see what that does for the problem.

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
OkieRA29;1238850 said:
Okay, when I went home for lunch, I pulled the cover off the supra and ran the code check. I got code 43.
Diagnosis

* No "STA" signal to ECU until engine speed reaches 800RPM with vehicle not moving.

Trouble Area

* Ignition switch circuit.
* Ignition switch
* ECU

I believe that this may be from a couple of different things. When I got the car it did not have a key or an ignition switch. The wiring harness to the ignition switch had been butchered. I got a good harnes end from a parts supra and soldered and butt-spliced it in. I think that this is were this code is being thrown from. If it was the ECU, I would think that it would throw a bunch more codes. I am gonna try and replace the plug wires and clean the ICS and the TPS then see what that does for the problem.
By what you told me about the ignition switch was butchered and the syptoms of the reason of the 43 code,and how you spliced the wires.You have found the problem area.And knowing is half the battle l.o.l.make sure you secure the areas of the wires that you spliced with some good connections and you should be fine.let me know how things turned out and lots of luck:icon_bigg

OkieRA29

Oct 22, 2008
Oklahoma City
Okay, I found the original idle issue cause, the number 5 spark plug wire was pretty much gone. It was cut/burned almost all the way through. There was one wire left. The wire was shorting out on the throttle body. So now she idles great, with no miss... except for the RPMs. They are at around 500 or so. I have cleaned the ICSV and the TPS. The TPS was reset to spec via the TSRM. Is there an idle speed screw or what? The timing does not seem off. I have set it using both the TSRM and an inductive timing light. There also seems to be a stumble at about 2000-2500 RPM. I am guessing here, but either I have a gasket leak or a fuel issue. The car does not get driven, still no tags(hopefully next month) So all I really do is let her idle in the driveway and occasionally drive her around the block. I would like to solve the idle issue before I start driving her regularly.