Idle problems

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
When cold the motor starts up fine and the RPM"s are around 1000 to 1100. 15 to 20 seconds after starting is when my idle gets lumpy. The RPM's will fluctuate from 550 to 650 kind of like it's about to die but just keeps going. I checked all vacuum hoses, electrical circuits and every thing seems to be fine.

BTW I'm only getting 15 hg vac on my boost gauge

Last edited:

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
wow does that sound familiar....i just went through this. Does it sputter when you drive it? yeah make sure to check for codes...e1 and Te1

BTW you may want to check out my thread (another misfire thread just one down from yours) Jdub has been helping me out and had some great suggestions on what you may want to check on your car as well...Good Luck

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
Cool I'll make sure to check out your thread black and no I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary while driving besides when I was at idle.

Fletch, it's when my car is warmed up that it starts to have a lumpy idle. Cold start seems to be fine though...

I checked ignition timing with a test light as well and it was on 10 degrees.

I'm getting a code 11

Momentary interruption in power supply to ECU.

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Unplug the ECU and plug it back in.....I just pressed on the plug into the ECU and swapped AFMs and VIOLA! Running like a champ...but on the stock AFM instead of the LEX :aigo:

If that does not work...check the coils

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
No wideband....

I gave it a shot hoping to get lucky but messing with the ECU and AFM didn't do anything. By coils do you mean the coil pack? I made a new ground(that small little screw on the corner near the plug farthest to the right) for the coil pack since mine was already broken but that didn't do anything.

I should also note that I just got done with fixing a BHG. Once I set ignition timing everything seemed ok(hgvac was at 18-19). I went for a test drive and it drove great(may be a little lumpy idle). But it wasn't until I tried starting the car again that I noticed it was not idling the same this time. I never went WOT and never took the car pass 2000RPM's. I also changed the oil and filter twice and also left the drain plug out and dropped clean oil though the filler just to make sure most of the caramel colored oil was out.