identifying ct26 60-1

Boosted516

Supramano
Apr 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
I found a guy selling a ct26 60-1, he said it came on the car when he bought it. He also said hes never seen it run but theres no shaft play. How can i be sure its a 60-1? I know these turbos dont last too long because of the compressor wheel being to large for the housing(i think), but what else should i look for?

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
measure the size of the intake and exhaust wheel openings with calipers.... compare to a stock, and if anyone else has a 60-1 they should chime in with measuresment... i sold my old one (regretting it now, it was a fun fucking turbo lol).

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
Boosted516;1382005 said:
ok what should i look for other than shaft play, and chipped fins? its coming with the manifold and oil lines on it already.

make sure to open the wastegate. make sure all the carbon is cleaned off of it and check for anything that looks like a crack, if the turbo had seen a lot of use, its likely to be cracked and no good unless you have someone that can weld it and patch it back to normal.

need new tires

rubber slinger
Nov 10, 2005
Dayton,Ohio
^:dunno:
what are you talking about. out of 15 ct's that i have put on my cars/ customer cars only 3 have not had cracks around the wastegate hole. i have yet to see any negitive effects from running a housing with minor cracks.
i am not talking about 2-3 thousand miles either. a 50 trim has put on about 30k of hard use and dynoed 355rwhp 3k miles ago with a "cracked" housing.

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
need new tires;1382822 said:
^:dunno:
what are you talking about. out of 15 ct's that i have put on my cars/ customer cars only 3 have not had cracks around the wastegate hole. i have yet to see any negitive effects from running a housing with minor cracks.
i am not talking about 2-3 thousand miles either. a 50 trim has put on about 30k of hard use and dynoed 355rwhp 3k miles ago with a "cracked" housing.

ive seen several ct-26 (stock, non upgraded) with large cracks around the wastegate dump opening and lots without.. extending past the flap gate..... just think of how much more power it takes to get the same pressure and maybe less spool if your always flowing some exhaust through it... plus if the crack gets worse from boosting even higher and having EGTs much higher, id hate to see it spread to more vital areas.

"cracked" is still cracked, best to find a good one to upgrade