Idea for Next Mod:Turbo or MAFT PRO

kikdurazz

what's the birdcage for?
Apr 1, 2005
winnipeg
So next spring I wanna bite the bullet and finally make a little more head way with the car.

The car has not seen much change in setup in the last 3 years and I have gotten the modding bug again.

Specs as it stands:
Lex/RC 550 Injectors
SAFC
K+N FIPK
JE .20 pistons + rings
stock rods
ARP headbolts, torqued to 75ft/lbs
HKS 1.2 MHG
2.5in Defcon hardpipes modified
Spearco intercooler
3in RT Downpipe and 3in mandrel exhaust
Aeromotive AFPR
Walbro 255
CT26 60-1 with 10 degree clip

Currently the car makes 358rwhp and 379 rwtq @ 20psi
usually for the street I run 18psi

Now I am undecided on what to do, the wife is limiting me to kinda 1 mod a year, So my plans are either go:

MAFT PRO with boost control and widebandand guage
Benefits:
I see better fuel control and mapping potential
get rid of MAF and run speed density
Improves potential for future mods
downside: Nobody in my area works with it, or knows about it. Tuners are willing to work with it but my knowledge will need to be up there and as of right now don't feel like blowing shit up because of improper tune due to lack of knowledge on my part

Turbo: Most likely Boss bolt on TO4E 58 bigshaft
Benefits: bump in horsepower and torque
seat of pants get filled
Potential downside:
Fuel control may be lacking which leads to boom boom

My goals are to break the 400whp mark and 400torque mark for the car. It doesn't have to happen anytime soon as I have had the car for 12 years and well things just keep plugging along with it.

So I just wanna get to know your thoughts, if i go turbo will the lex and safc be sufficent for the time being until the following year(hopefully) to upgrade the fuel control or should I start with MAFT PRO get used to it then upgrade the turbo down the road.

Thanks
Ken

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
i would say go with the turbo or save up for a standalone. the maft pro is nice but the connectors on it really suck. and for the price of the maft pro if you save a little more you can have a way better set up in a stand alone.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Maybe you just need a proper tune? My car has similar mods with a 57 trim CT and did 393rwhp at 16-17psi. My SAFC was dyno tuned at Titan Motorsports before I bought it. I believe the Maft Pro can dial in your tune automatically with a wideband connected, which might get you the 400 you want.

kikdurazz

what's the birdcage for?
Apr 1, 2005
winnipeg
I'm Heading back to the dyno in the next few weeks before I head out to the track just to make sure I am running right car sits in the winter and well things reset.

What's best suggestion for tune when I go back? Reset the Fp and start tune over with SAFC. I'm thinking If we bump the fuel pressure alittle bit over base then I can fine tune a little more with the SAFC. as it stands right now, base is at 32psi if I recall and safc hi-throttle is -15% after 5 or 5500rpm A/f were 11.4-11.7. I just don't wanna run into timing issues since I can't monitor it.

I have been running the CT26 60-1 for 4 years now at 18psi I'm thinking it might be getting tired as well, although no death whine minimal shaft play and still pulls hard as hell.

kikdurazz

what's the birdcage for?
Apr 1, 2005
winnipeg
Maybe turbo would be the better option for now. Then down the road do the fuel system. I'm thinking even with less boost on a larger turbo I'll probably be making more power then what I am currently.