Ian's 87 2jz

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
That car is badass. Now answer the questions about the comparisson between 7m and 2jz...............................Please......................;)

hardcharger

#1 935 groupie
Oct 28, 2005
San Diego
I have to put this out right now, as ian will back up. the 2j swap IS NOT CHEAP!!! its not a quick buy the clip and spend 1k bucks on the rest of the parts needed, I'm telling you that right now. plan on spending a few grand on the swap cuz it WILL cost more then you think

cassio

Apr 1, 2005
in comparisson to my 7M....hmmmm my 7M was pretty badass, when it was tuned it is/was faster than my 2J right now... But that's not telling the full story since my 2J isn't tuned and Ive only pushed it once, and that one push untuned felt about 90% of my 7M tuned....

My old 7M, FFI with 60-1 turbonetics, and the worksz
1.JPG

When tuning begins this engine will def be worth it...

Now to the monetary side of things.

Hardcharger is correct, do not buy a clip w/o a federal reserve.
Clip was ~3k, misc hoses alone = 200$, misc metal for fab ~ 200$,
Turbo another 1.5k, this stuff adds up. I did almost all the labor aside from the exhaust side of things, so i have shop fees on top of that, but it helps that i have known the shop tech/part owner since 3rd grade.

I would have never been able to do this swap when i was in college, but i did quite a bit to the 7M considering I was only making 12$/hr back then, but i also had my own business raking in 40$/hr every so often.

Now i graduated and the $$ side of things inst an issue, so i decided to do a swap people told me id never do, or just laughed off...

The swap will cost you lots of unexpected $$, headaches and time.

Back to the worth, is it worth it....... I would say yes, a 1j swap a 2j swap or even a 7M swap is well worth it if you will be better off than your current setup.... if my 7M didnt blow before i moved to nyc i would have returned to Tampa and just built on that, and bought a new car with the $$ i sunk into this project..... also you will never have everything you need when you start the swap.... i had a diff turbo, it hit the hood... so i had to buy a diff one lol.... the swap will test you mentally emotionally and def physically.....

i was def intimidated by the wiring alone, i called a few 2jz guys and they told me to just relax and just go for it.... so i did and that anxiety went away......

it's def a mental test (wiring wise) the rest is second nature if you have taken the 7M in and out mre than half a dozen times like I have.

I have a few more things to wrap up, but after that i will make time to do a write up while my memory is fresh..

-ian

cassio

Apr 1, 2005
i wrote an essay and that's all you want lol:

well the 7M holds its ground with the "torqyness" both motors are close to 1:1 ratios T:HP wise. the 2j wants to take off hardcore if im flooring it in first/second/third.

the motor is surprisingly quiet compared to my 7M, but i think the hydro fan helps out with that quite a bit.

i'll tell you it "Feels" good walking out to my car and knowing it will crank lol.

in 4th gear on the HighWay there is a lot of reserve power with the 2j motor, i had the same reserve with the 7M, but the 2J seems to deliver it a lot quicker, but im comparing apples to oranges.... non BB 60-1 (7M) to dbb gt35r (2J)

Ive never owned a stock 7M nor a stock 2J (not to mention drive in acar with one mkiv).

Compared to a stock 7M, i have driven one, the single 2J def out performs it in everyway... but that is to be expected. I dont really have a definitive base for either motor to compare stock to stock, so my opinion is kind of void in this situtaion....

my pick : APU 7M (mine) or APU 2J (mine)... im going with the 2J.
Someone else with an awesome APU 7M vs my 2J APU, i may be swayed to the 7M.....

so i guess it depends on where you're coming from and where you're going.

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You are very informative and also I love it when I can read an entire post and not have to guess at one word. It is very well written. It's sad that I have to commend someone on his spelling and writing skills after he just installed a 2jz................lol

I hope you do the writeup on the swap, because I am definately going to go 1jz or 2jz if my 7m tears up. It is running very well right now, but I may have just jinxed myself by bragging on her. I'm a little busy with work, so I may end up letting Aaron do my swap. The only bad thing is he's so far away. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it...................lol

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
cassio said:
Someone else with an awesome APU 7M vs my 2J APU, i may be swayed to the 7M....
Prepare to be swayed when you see me! :D:D:D

Looks good Ian, it's going to great to finally meet you and see her in action... Always loved your car...

cassio

Apr 1, 2005
lol, when i wrote that i was thinking about yours!!!

November: I'll be there, hopefully with some fresh paint :) or if you're down here before then.... just done expect me to race, i like keeping my insurance costs down :)

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
good job btw w/ the entire swap, lol, i can't even start to comprehend the wiring issues :-/... but i'll look forward to your write-up... i'll read it even if i don't go 2jz, lol

cassio

Apr 1, 2005
mah70 said:
Yep, thats me...
Cool, you should swing by the shop if you have some time tomorrow. They are having a dyno event and there will be plenty of people out there: Toyota, nissan, old muscle, new muscle etc.

Thanks for the replies, i will start on a write up in a week, still have some stuff to do so I will kepp you all posted when that is released.

-ian