I think I did the foglight rewire wrong

SC Rydah

Sep 20, 2008
New Jersey
I have a 90 and I just put a low beam HID kit in. But I had no foglights so shortly after that, I did a foglight rewire.
I taped the red-green foglight switch wire with the white-black defroster switch wire.

Then I got under the dash and found the foglight relay, cut the black protective sleeve off the wires, cut the red-black wire and taped one end to a thick (mabye 10 gauge) wire with an inline fuse attached (Just like the ones in the pictures on the step-by-step directions threads).

BTW It came with a 30A fuse and i replaced it with a 15A fuse. I stuck the other end of the wire into the 15A Cig lighter fuse and pushed the fuse in good behind it.

I turned the key to the ON position and VOILA! Foglights on w/the head and parking lights off!

I had them in for 2 days and they just went off while driving! I went over EVERY STEP again to make sure my splices weren't loose and no fuses were blown. Everything looked ok, but no foglights! What happened?

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Check bulbs. Check all connections. On my 87 when i had it and did the rewired and sometimes it would go of once in a while because my fuse where i did the tap into was lose. So check all connections twice.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i don't like the cram the wire into the fuse pannel idea. i like a solid connection. i tapped it on the little light by the hood latch. its power sorce had constant power so i can turn on my fogs at any time. the only problem doing like that is you can forget and leave them on.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
black89t;1220510 said:
i don't like the cram the wire into the fuse pannel idea. i like a solid connection. i tapped it on the little light by the hood latch. its power sorce had constant power so i can turn on my fogs at any time. the only problem doing like that is you can forget and leave them on.

thats a good idea. my foglights have never worked since i got the car. when i installed my hids, i fixed all the wiring on my fog lights and then did the foglight rewire as the OP stated. The foglights worked for about a day or so and then they were gone. the fuse keeps blowing.
im gonna try what you stated, it might help
thanks
-pete

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
yeah it works great. i still have a inline fuse going from the relay to the power source off the tiny light. i actually just cut the wire and ran it straight to the inline fuse then to the relay because that light doesn't do much anyways. just get a test light so you don't wire it to ground. lol.

SC Rydah

Sep 20, 2008
New Jersey
I checked everything and no blown fuses or bulbs. I have a voltage spike - past 18v anytime I go past 3500rpm due to the alternator or voltage regulator - and I think it blew my relay. Either that or I broke the red/black wire from the relay connector that I had to bend to strip it. Does anybody concur?

SC Rydah

Sep 20, 2008
New Jersey
BTW black89T, I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks and WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT??!! A solid connection. I never knew of another way to do it and i'm new to this wiring thing.

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
I also have a '90 with a single filament/low beam only HID kit installed. before the HIDs, my fogs and everything worked normal. Ever since the HIDs have been in, no fogs. I think its because my HID kit doesnt give the fog light relay its 12v signal its supposed to get when the low beams are on. I figured when i do the fog light rewire it should fix this. Yes? No?

SC Rydah

Sep 20, 2008
New Jersey
Yes. It will fix it. You're exactly right about the fog light relay not getting the 12V signal. But imho, you should try Black89T's suggestion above. A more solid connection.

I think I figured out why mine aren't working now. I believe my fog light relay blew due to a bad alternator. Right now it allows a voltage spike every time the motor revs above 3500 rpm. I gonna replace it and let you know what happens.

I would try it and Black89T's idea now, but I can't because SOMEBODY CRASHED INTO THE DRIVER'S SIDE DOOR OF MY SUPRA!!!! I can't remove the kick panel where the relay is because I CAN'T OPEN THE DOOR!! But i'm working on getting it fixed now.

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
Awesome. Thanks Rydah. Lol I love finding out assumptions I have about my Supra are correct. Do you have a aftermarket voltage gauge in your car? Ohh man that sucks balls. I'm sorry dude. I had to make the tough decision of ripping off my bent to shit factory lip the other day. Eh looks better w/o it...

Soo, if I'm right about the fog light relay not getting the signal, then if I just took a male crimp connector and a strip of wire, plugged it into that third terminal on the headlight socket that my HID kit doesn't use, and ground the other end of the wire somewhere, theoretically, at least one fog light should work then?

csr ma71

rooftop sniper
Apr 2, 2005
bay area
www.angelfire.com
Mine is tapped into ignition switch. So you can set your turbo timer on and leave the foglights on and when the turbo timer turns off, your fogs go off. It's a cool feature when parking in parking garages and such.

SC Rydah

Sep 20, 2008
New Jersey
MikesFixedRoof;1296655 said:
Awesome. Thanks Rydah. Lol I love finding out assumptions I have about my Supra are correct. Do you have a aftermarket voltage gauge in your car? Ohh man that sucks balls. I'm sorry dude. I had to make the tough decision of ripping off my bent to shit factory lip the other day. Eh looks better w/o it...

Soo, if I'm right about the fog light relay not getting the signal, then if I just took a male crimp connector and a strip of wire, plugged it into that third terminal on the headlight socket that my HID kit doesn't use, and ground the other end of the wire somewhere, theoretically, at least one fog light should work then?

I'm no expert, so I wouldn't know. but just try the rewire and it should work if you do it right. It looks COOL with the fogs only on too!

csr ma71;1296912 said:
Mine is tapped into ignition switch. So you can set your turbo timer on and leave the foglights on and when the turbo timer turns off, your fogs go off. It's a cool feature when parking in parking garages and such.

Another nice idea!

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
black89t;1220663 said:
yeah it works great. i still have a inline fuse going from the relay to the power source off the tiny light. i actually just cut the wire and ran it straight to the inline fuse then to the relay because that light doesn't do much anyways. just get a test light so you don't wire it to ground. lol.

Ahh I see now. You just cut the power going to the little underdash light and connected it directly to your in line fuse and relay.... I can't wait to do this mod! hopefully this weekend... BTW what amp fuse is needed in line? Is it a 15?

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
Well got it done Friday afternoon... Looks awesome! I did it according to Idealsupra's writeup, but for some reason the three wires linked together for fog light switch ground wasn't a good enough ground. So I just tapped another one. Ran power from the ignition switch actually, like csr ma71 did. Definitley looks VERY COOL with just the yellow foggies on! Pics to come.