I overboosted tonight..hope all is well

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
So i was heading home tonight on the interstate and i wanted to do a real quick pull. My car is tuned right now at 26psi and it's running super strong. I thought nothing would go wrong so i drop it to 4th and slamed the gas, i look over at my boost gauge and it's pegged past the 2.0 bar mark. i'm thinking i atleast hit 35psi or so. i don't know how the hell this happened. i let of it as soon as i saw it. i was mabye on it for like 4 seconds. thank god i had the meth on full bore. i have a pretty hardcore alky setup and the thing flows like 25GPH of pure methanol.

do you think the temp drop could cause such a high spike. is there a hole in one of my boost controller lines? wastegate sticking???

i sure hope i didn't do any engine damage.. that sure was a scary feeling. btw.. my tires broke loose at 100mph :)

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Wow... I think I may have soiled my pants if my tires broke loose accelerating that fast. Did it feel a lot stronger than usual?

I think this happed to Ian once and his engine survived. I'd say if it was only for like 4 secs, you may have got lucky. I would start checking lines right away before you boost high again...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
kylefoto said:
the two best points of this post:
you hit 35 psi, without trying to,
you broke loose going 100mph.
FTW!

And that's why I'm going BOSS 550 after my rebuild's done and the engine's broke in ;). It's not that I want to boost that much, I just want to have the potential if I ever need it.:naughty:

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Insane, I think if something were wrong you'd already know it. Temp changes could cause spikes, I know they did on my internal wastegate, and and caused me to boost higher on my external wastegate as well. I'd just give everything a quick look over and make sure everything looks okay.

I doubt the WG stuck with the Boss' stainless hot side.

I'm supprised you didn't hit fuel cut, thats pretty scary.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
malloynx said:
So i was heading home tonight on the interstate and i wanted to do a real quick pull. My car is tuned right now at 26psi and it's running super strong. I thought nothing would go wrong so i drop it to 4th and slamed the gas, i look over at my boost gauge and it's pegged past the 2.0 bar mark. i'm thinking i atleast hit 35psi or so. i don't know how the hell this happened. i let of it as soon as i saw it. i was mabye on it for like 4 seconds. thank god i had the meth on full bore. i have a pretty hardcore alky setup and the thing flows like 25GPH of pure methanol.

do you think the temp drop could cause such a high spike. is there a hole in one of my boost controller lines? wastegate sticking???

i sure hope i didn't do any engine damage.. that sure was a scary feeling. btw.. my tires broke loose at 100mph :)

cold weather could be the issue... but then again... cheack vac lines, check you wastegate too....

my car's been acting a little funny as well in cold weather (boosting to cut like crazy) stock ct, no boost controller, no shims on w/g.... no boost leaks, and no wastegate issues :dunno:

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i'm running the joe p MBC which has proven itself to be accurate and reliable. i think the weather has some factor to do with this. i'm going to give the car a once over.

yea i can already smoke the tires on a 4th gear pull at 26psi of boost. :)

word of advice... 600hp+ 255/40/17 rear tire is FTL. :( very very unsafe...

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
malloynx said:
word of advice... 600hp+ 255/40/17 rear tire is FTL. :( very very unsafe...

I think that anything over 450hp is too much for the street, but then again I am a bit older than the average here. :icon_surp

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
Isnt 2 bar 29psi not 36?

a manual boost controler will have a different top boost amount for each gear and load ie going up a hill in 3rd or 4th will create a different psi result each gear. thats why manual boost controlers suck. Using one to get 24 psi would create higher and lower numbers in different gears. i almost blew my engine with one.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
dude, my needle was like an 1/2 an inch past the 2.0bar mark. the needle was pegged.

also i've been runnig this tune for awhile and all has been while. i'm fully aware on how load affect boost

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
electric boost controlers vs manual ones is comparing a nos built mustang to a stock festiva. both can and will fail.

murpahys laws of combat: andthing man mande can and will fail. its a question of how and when.