I need tires and i got leftover rims. I want some opinions...

nightmare

Sep 19, 2008
Southern Indiana
Okay... my pass front tire keeps goin flat in 2 days. I took it into the tire dealer. To look at it... there's two 1 inch cracks in the inside of the rim and it's bent. (I knew it was rashed before i got the car). I've got a set of 4 18"rims I had from a lwered ranger i had. But I used spacers on the ranger. I'm not sure of the backspacing(it doesn't say it on the back) But I'm guessing a 40mm backspacing(I knew it was a fwd offset) I measure about 5 and 7/8 of an inch from the back lip to the back of the bolt flange. And the rims say they're a 7.5 width. I know the wheels will bolt on and clear. (they've got 255/55 tires on them right now)
I can get some 225/45/18 tires for a cheap price. Will this look goofy as hell or will it still turn out alright? I just need good tires on the car... And I need to stay cheap so I can get it runnin in top shape before i do BPU's.
Please give me some advice guys. I searched in the tire fitment section. I couldn't find any 7.5 wide runnin 225/45/18's

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
If you have the car and you have the rims... why not just test fit them?

Anyway, 7.5" rims in the nieghbourhood of +40 should fit.

s000pra89T

SuFra TurVo
Apr 18, 2005
VA Beach
^Yep, then post pics if you want an opinion.

And btw....is your car lowered? 18's with 45 series will be pretty high on stock height. ;)

nightmare

Sep 19, 2008
Southern Indiana
The reason for 225/45's is, that it seems to be the ideal size tire for a 7.5 wide rim. And I have trial fitted the rims on the car.. But not with 225/45's. The rims will fit. I know... But will the skinny 7.5 wide rim look funny? See the rims as of now have 255/55's on them. And thats a little over a 10" wide tire. And they fit in my wheel wells. Only because My car is at stock height. But I don't want to drive it with those tires and really look like a 4x4.
The tires on the front now are 225/35/18's and I'd like more sidewall than what they got. And the rears are 295/35/18's I love the fitment of them. But the front rims are trashed and the wheels are discontinued.
I can go with a 235/45/18 on a 7.5 wide rim right? I know this should be in the wheel fitment thread. But I was afraid I wasn't going to get any replies on it.
Hell.. i might even consider goin to a 215 section width. But i think it'd look like i got my spare tire on:nono:.

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
IMO they will look OK as long as the spacing puts the outside of the rim close to the outside of the fender. A 40mm offset on a 7.5" wheel probably won't do that though.

Example: my rear wheels are 9.5" with 35+ offset and look close to flush with the side of the car. Do the math and they are about 3.37" off the mounting face. 7.5" wheel with +40mm offset is only 2.18" off the mounting face. So those wheels will be inset pretty far along with being really skinny and not very meaty looking tires.

However if you want to run the 225/45's are probably your best bet.

nightmare

Sep 19, 2008
Southern Indiana
I could run the bolt on spacers if i need to. But I think they're to thick. I think they were 1" spacers. I'll dig them out and check. I went to get the 225/45' and they were sold already:3d_frown:. Oh,well... But I'm going to keep and eye out for some more used ones for cheap. But now my front oil seal or something is going out on the car. I got oil all over the front and under the hood..... arrrggghhh. Does it ever end?:evil2: So I need to get that fixed first now. Thanks for the help guys. When I get the tires I'll post it up in the wheel fitment thread.