i need some help

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
my 87 turbo is cutting out bad when i get to about 3000 rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. I checked my codes and i got code 52 which is the knock sensor and I dont know if the knock sensor would affect it like this. The car is running very rick which could be the knock sensor and i went and got a new fuel filter just in case its that so if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

p.s. i have almost no knowlege of the major problems that could cause this thanks for your help
Stephen

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
i have searched but cant find a post describing what my car is doing its like cutting in and out i guess it could be a fuel cut thats why I went and bought the fuel filter but I am new to these cars and was trying to see if anyone else has had similar problems and how they fixed it

hellraiser456

Dec 29, 2006
canada
when you knock sensors are out you are going to run rich. because the engine can't listen in on what it is doing...it will pull timing and run pig rich. the ecu does it so you don't destroy your motor. don't take my word on this but i don't think you will have fuel cut either...at least i didn't, or so it would seem.

i would fix your knock sensors and check for boost leaks. my car would just buck under boost and it felt gutless....even at psi's much over where the stock fuel cut should be. i usually ran at 10 psi and you would barely feel the turbo kick in at that. i fixed the knock sensors and there was a worlds difference in response and power. i run at 12 psi and that feels stronger than when my knock sensors where out and trying to boost to 16 psi....yea i was dumb about that.

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
the knock sensor is 168 bucks at autozone but how hard is it to replace would i even want to try to do it myself? I know its under the valve cover but how hard is it to get to and will i need any advanced tools or would it be better to take it to toyota? ooh and does anyone know where i can get a good downpipe mine is broke right after the turbo?

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
well Im not the most machanically inclined person but im not the stupidest either. I have worked on alot of cars like all my friends done a motor swap in an f150 and I just finished auto tech 3 at my school so do you know what kind of tools i will need

hellraiser456

Dec 29, 2006
canada
well the knock sensors are located on the intake side of the block maybe a few inches give or take below the intake manifold. they are a 27mm wrech size. you will have two if you have a turbo block. one is located right by the starter and the other is towards the front of the block a few inches back from the alt. i would consider buying a knock sensor off of these fourms as they are one of those parts that works and the main reason they fail is because the plug physically breaks off of them, and you get them far cheaper than 160 bucks. i think i got mine for 20 each. i can't seem to find a good picture of their exact location in the tsrm but you can find a pic of a knock sensor and they aren't hard to miss. took me about an hour to do mine. i used a deep 27mm socket for the front one and a wrench for the back one. if you have a short 27mm wrench or can borrow one, i think that will greatly help as i used the normal long and it was very difficult.

EDIT: i would start on your rear one as it is the hardest and i ended up breaking my front trying to fix the rear one. if the rear one is broke i would quickly take out the front one so you don't break it.

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
could a blown head gasket cause my car to cut out and stutter the way it has been doing? she has been smoking greyish blue and i just wanna know if the way my car is acting could be some of the symptoms of a BHG thanks for all your help