i need some help

latemevol24

Dec 4, 2005
lancaster pa
i have a problem with my 91 non turbo. the car runs but its idling at around 3000 and its overheating. the headgasket, thermostat, and water pump were all replaced and its still doing it. i think the coolant temp. sensor might fix the over heating problem but i'm not sure. what do u guys think i should do other then the sensor?? please help me out

latemevol24

Dec 4, 2005
lancaster pa
silvergsx623 said:
Check idle screw?

Check coolent level?

Check coolent sensor?

Raidiator may be cloged? (flush it out)

the idle screw is good and i'm pretty sure the radiator is good but i guess it would hurt to have it flushed. and the coolant level is fine i'm gonna try a new sensor this weekend
thanx for the advice

jazzsaxman1988

smells like burnt waffles
May 6, 2006
Dinwiddie, VA
www.cygnusx1.net
latemevol24 said:
the idle screw is good and i'm pretty sure the radiator is good but i guess it would hurt to have it flushed. and the coolant level is fine i'm gonna try a new sensor this weekend
thanx for the advice

You shouldn't have to adjust the idle screw. High idle- maybe vacuum leak? You should run diagnostics on your car and post the codes- that way you can get a better idea of where your problem is. A bad temp sensor shouldn't cause overheating- mine has been disconnected for a long time and it never caused overheating. I could mention a lot of things that could be causing it, but it's all speculation until you run diagnostics. If you don't know how to do it, it's in the TSRM, just search for TSRM on the forum and you'll find it pretty quickly.

latemevol24

Dec 4, 2005
lancaster pa
TSRM?? where is it and what is it. i have a guy near me that will get me a turbo motor for 500 and then install he said will be a little more like 2000 so i'm gonna talk to him to see if i can get him to cut his install price. saves a lot of trouble with the motor now and its also an upgrade so it should be a good thing to do.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Engine Installation labor should not be more than $1000 at a regular shop.

Overheating ...how's your fan clutch ?? Put a 180* thermostat in too. And a new cap.

latemevol24

Dec 4, 2005
lancaster pa
i'm gonna be talking to the guy that says he can get me the motor about labor but till then i don't think i will put too much in it. it has a new thermostat and cap i'm not sure what degree it is tho it was just the basic par tthat i got from advance auto parts. i'll look more into the codes but its hard for me since i am working about 16 hours day at 2 jobs. hopefully the hard work will pay off for me car.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Don't assume you're coolant level is fine because the overflow bottle has liquid in it, open up the radiator cap (when it's cold!) and check where it matters!

latemevol24

Dec 4, 2005
lancaster pa
i'll check the radiator but i'm sure its fine. any one know of where i can get a good aluminum one for when i get the turbo motor i know horsepower freaks has good prices but idk if maybe theres somewhere else that might be cheaper for a fluidyne or pwr.

thanx a lot everyone
john

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
To my concern, Fluidyne is the best way to go.

Also, just realized that you posted in 7M Turbo Tech for an N/A.:icon_conf

darkandroid1234

What? ...Yaaassss!
May 10, 2006
Bradenton, FL
IMO... Why worry about what's wrong with your current motor if you are so set on replacing it? It's pointless to buy a new motor if you don't need one, and if you are N/A a turbo motor isn't just a drop and go thing. You need the IC and pipes, ECU, MAF, Igniter, Downpipe, and probably more I missed. Plus with all that new power, unless you are auto, that stock clutch is gonna be toast quick, and unless taken real easy that w58 won't last long either. Part of being a mechanic is being able to find the problem and fix it, not just throwing a bunch of parts at it until it shuts up.

-Mike

Cliff notes:
Don't be lazy! RTFM & POST YOUR CODES

Last edited:

latemevol24

Dec 4, 2005
lancaster pa
well the shop that is willing to do the swap has the price set to include everything. they said they have done the swap before and its a walk in the park for them.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
500 for the motor? Thats a crazy ass deal, your almost stealing it from them. Normally it would cost you around 1200 for just the motor. But 1200 for the install is kind of steep imo. Especially when a reasonably competent person could install it themselves in a weekend or two. But at 1700 total, its still a good deal.