I Need Some Good Sound!!!

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Pernilongo;1069318 said:
Perfects are very good speakers, but hardly an audiophile material. They are very "bright" drivers. One peculiarity on an infinity line up is sound coloration. They make music sound a little brighter than it actually is. good stuff for techno, pop, trance. Club music. Although they might get tiring for some people after long periods of listening.
I agree. The tweeters are WAY to harsh for most people in the kappa component sets. Unless you're mounting the tweeters way off-axis, and behind a thick grille, it might be a little much.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Pernilongo - I just happen to listen to a lot of techno and trance. ;)

Yes, I'll admit it, the highs can be a bit harsh for some people...but it's all personal preference and what kind of music you listen to.

I've got to say, Having these speakers brings out background sound effects that I'd never heard in some songs before listening to them in the Infinity's.

Best thing about these? I can have them cranked at full blast through my Kenwood deck and doesn't have a peep of distortion.

Again, is it the *best* speaker on the market? Hard telling, but it's good God damned quality, and there's no argument there.
But when you're paying $40 for a pair...It only makes them sound that much better. ;)

Jeff

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Boost Lee;1069867 said:
Pernilongo - I just happen to listen to a lot of techno and trance. ;)

Yes, I'll admit it, the highs can be a bit harsh for some people...but it's all personal preference and what kind of music you listen to.

I've got to say, Having these speakers brings out background sound effects that I'd never heard in some songs before listening to them in the Infinity's.

Best thing about these? I can have them cranked at full blast through my Kenwood deck and doesn't have a peep of distortion.

Again, is it the *best* speaker on the market? Hard telling, but it's good God damned quality, and there's no argument there.
But when you're paying $40 for a pair...It only makes them sound that much better. ;)

Jeff

Wow man, you really love those cheap little infinities. I gave my infinities away years ago when i realized what real sound quality means... For the price they are OK... but far from the best... on or off an amp.

And besides, the installation, staging, timing, and enclosure will make more of a difference to how the speaker performs than just buying a better speaker. Setup right a cheap set of pioneers from walmart can sound better than some focals that cost 4 times as much...

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
pbasil1;1069889 said:
Wow man, you really love those cheap little infinities. I gave my infinities away years ago when i realized what real sound quality means... For the price they are OK... but far from the best... on or off an amp.

And besides, the installation, staging, timing, and enclosure will make more of a difference to how the speaker performs than just buying a better speaker. Setup right a cheap set of pioneers from walmart can sound better than some focals that cost 4 times as much...

Hello pbasil1.

I'll lay it out to you plain and simple.

I enjoy these speakers.

If your ears were attached to my $!#@ing head, then I'd reconsider.
But they aren't. So get over it.

For the retail price of Kappa Perfects, they are good.
If you paid attention, you'd have seen that I spent hardly a third of what they retail for.

To recap. They're good enough for my ears. I enjoy them.
They sound great with the music I listen to, and they didn't break my budget one damn bit.

Comprende?

I couldn't agree with you more. There are A LOT of other brands out there that are better than Kappa Perfects...But you know? I really could give two shits less. They're my speakers.
If I was so concerned about what others thought of me, then I'd have $!@#ing 12" subwoofers in each god damn door panel.

Jeff

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Boost Lee;1070290 said:
Hello pbasil1.

I'll lay it out to you plain and simple.

I enjoy these speakers.

If your ears were attached to my $!#@ing head, then I'd reconsider.
But they aren't. So get over it.

For the retail price of Kappa Perfects, they are good.
If you paid attention, you'd have seen that I spent hardly a third of what they retail for.

To recap. They're good enough for my ears. I enjoy them.
They sound great with the music I listen to, and they didn't break my budget one damn bit.

Comprende?

I couldn't agree with you more. There are A LOT of other brands out there that are better than Kappa Perfects...But you know? I really could give two shits less. They're my speakers.
If I was so concerned about what others thought of me, then I'd have $!@#ing 12" subwoofers in each god damn door panel.

Jeff

Rofl... Point taken man. I was just pointing out the fact that htey arent the best in the world. You sure seemed to try and make them out that way earlier in the thread.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
pbasil1;1069889 said:

annoyingrob;1068787 said:
With speakers, yes you do get what you pay for, to a point, but MOST of the difference is going to be installation. I've made shitty speakers sound good, and good speakers sound shitty.

A little EQing can help TONS. Then add in some time alignment to the mix, and the OP will be amazed.

I prefer to spend my money on processing and deadening rather than speakers.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
cut dash, make a hole.

install pair of IDQ-CD1's for mid's and highs within the dash with opening poitning to the glass.
Install 8inch mid-bass by the kick panels both sides.

Should be close to spot on freq resp wise and time alignment will be marginally off.

EQ's will def help. But unless you have an RTA to help. 30 channels/side is overkill. 15 is the most I would use unless I am competing.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
figgie;1071348 said:
cut dash, make a hole.

install pair of IDQ-CD1's for mid's and highs within the dash with opening poitning to the glass.
Install 8inch mid-bass by the kick panels both sides.

Should be close to spot on freq resp wise and time alignment will be marginally off.

EQ's will def help. But unless you have an RTA to help. 30 channels/side is overkill. 15 is the most I would use unless I am competing.
And were gonna blow the budget how many times over with some lovely Image Dynamics, sound processors, and custom fiberglass enclosures??? LOL

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
pbasil1;1071635 said:
And were gonna blow the budget how many times over with some lovely Image Dynamics, sound processors, and custom fiberglass enclosures??? LOL

depends.

you buy new. Correct.

Used, not really.

I ended up selling my IDQ-CD1's for "cheap" as I needed them gone ;) Fiberglass, extremly cheap when purchased from a boat repair supply store. Not that hard to make molds for fiberglass. Processors. Again 15 channel works but none are really needed unless the speakers are complete and utter crap, placement is not optimal or you compete in sanctioned events. And if you really want, one of the older used Orion HCCA amps at 50 watts and run the entire system of that one amp.