I need help in which direction to go

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
I'll try to keep this short and simple:
I bought an 89 Turbo Targa 5spd in '04. Not knowing that low oil and no oil pressure indication was bad I put the car on a dyno to check out my numbers. Driving home from there my engine began making noises not unlike a bucket of wrenches in a dryer without the benefit of fabric sheets. My mech convinced me to buy a JDM engine instead of rebuilding what I had. The new engine had cylinders 1 and 6 BHG. Cylinder 5's rear exhaust valve snapped off and smashed the piston and the head. From there I went with a full blown rebuild to include(but not limited to): a bearings up rebuild, rebuilt turbo, checked injectors, new oil/water pumps, arp studs, HKS MHG, Crank scraper, aftermarket intercooler/hardpipes/bov, aeromotive AFPR, MBC, 3" turbo elbow/DP/TP, Walbrow 255/ new fuel filter, , oil filter relocation kit........which I didn't realize that I could cross the lines on. There were a few hiccups on startup, then (after unwisely driving to fast to quick) that "demons pounded to break free of my engine again" noise. That was 4 years ago. Dormant my blue, expensive nighmare has sat in silence, hidden behind motorcycle, under camping gear. Time to fix it or burn it. So Here we are!
I believe that I starved my engine of oil during start up/initial break-in. The new turbo ate itself. I think my best choice is to pull the engine out, tear it down, inspect for damage, install new rod/ crank bearings, and try again.
I'm turning to the finest source of infomation I've found for guidance. Yous guys. What should I do to get this running? Thank you, Eric

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
depends on your budget and power goals..

you can swap in a 2JZ-GE and turbo it later, or you can go 1JZ, but I'd personally stay 7m, but triple check everything..

sounds like most of the stuff is caused by not paying attention, or simple mistakes..

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
I'd love to 2JZ it.... no way with the current money situation. I'd be thrilled with stock horsepower as the car hasn't driven over 30 mph since Oct 04. What brand of bearings should I use to rebuild..... where should I get them and a gasket kit?

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Driftmotion.com and double, triple, and quad check things.

Prolly not much of a answer as there are too many threads about this topic already.

Just rebuild for your power goals and make sure its right. As long as the bearings didnt disappear and rods start riding on the crack should be a fairly straight forward rebuild

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
If you've got any annoying little questions about the rebuild, I may be able to help. I'm an automotive student in Troy, so I'm not that far from you.
Drop me a line if I can help in any way.