I need a windows 2000 disk, please help!

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Ok heres the deal. My grandmother has a pos E-tower 566i. She refuses to let us buy her something new because "it still works". It does but her printer died and the new one she got ($30 HP) won't accept the Windows ME she is currently running. It requires 2000+ and 56mb of ram and her comp has neither!:aigo:

Comp Specs I can find on it:
Bus Architecture: PCI/ISA
Hard Drive Bus: UDMA
Native OS: Windows ME
CPU Type: 566MHz Intel Celeron
Standard Memory: 32 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory: 256 MB
Memory Expansion: 2 sockets
Memory Comments: PC100 SDRAM DIMMs
Model Comments: 66MHz FSB
HD Comments: 7.5 GB HDD (Ultra DMA EIDE)
CPU Comments: FC-PGA

...I know its absolutely out of date and probably worth less than nothing, but she has to print her emails and play solitare on something right?

I don't think her comp can handle the Xp I have but it should be able to run 2000 I would think.

I sourced some ram for $6 that will bring her to the max allowed 256mb.

All I need is a windows 2000 disk. Nobody I know has one. Anyone want to make a copy or send me one? I can pay!:1zhelp:

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
The ram won't be here for a week or two. I don't need it fast, and I'm sure changing the OP on that comp will be painfully slow.:biglaugh:

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
If you have XP, it'll work. Turn down all the settings to lowest so it looks like the classic interface. If it has 256mb RAM it should be OK, and it's not like she's worried about blistering performance.

(I've run XP on a 350mhz PII before, it works acceptably for really really basic stuff.)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ms07s;1187329 said:
The ram won't be here for a week or two. I don't need it fast, and I'm sure changing the OP on that comp will be painfully slow.:biglaugh:

Give it a couple of days and if no one steps up to help I'll post one, airmail it'll be there in a week.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
emiliorescigno;1187333 said:
If you have XP, it'll work. Turn down all the settings to lowest so it looks like the classic interface. If it has 256mb RAM it should be OK, and it's not like she's worried about blistering performance.

(I've run XP on a 350mhz PII before, it works acceptably for really really basic stuff.)

Well right now it takes it about 5min to do anything.:biglaugh: I was worried that between the microscopic HD and the lacking memory, the printer word and windows xp wouldn't all be able to run at the same time.

IJ.;1187336 said:
Give it a couple of days and if no one steps up to help I'll post one, airmail it'll be there in a week.

Cool!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I've got tons of legit win2000 licenses/cds at the shop - I can part with one for ya ;)

Hell if you want, I can send you a legitimate license + corresponding CD for the dash/bezel :D

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Doward;1187390 said:
I've got tons of legit win2000 licenses/cds at the shop - I can part with one for ya ;)

Hell if you want, I can send you a legitimate license + corresponding CD for the dash/bezel :D

Deal!

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
aww damn and here i wanted to help... i have a corporate install that is a set-it-and-forget-it install. No keys needed. Props to helping out grandma (my parents and grandparents are about the same with comps) ME=FTL.....