i messed something up, need some help, high idle, rich

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
well, i was doing some work to my car, everything was running perfect earlier on that day, and then after the work i start my car, and it's idling high (1100 rpms when fully warmed up), and rich (12:1).

the work i was doing was re-locating the ait sensor to the i/c pipe. i did plug it back up at the manifold, and i did make sure i wired the polarity properly (verified the e2 ground with the map sensor e2 wire). i have since logged the air intake temps, and verified it is working (unplugged it, goes to -20c, plugged in 8c), so i know it's wired fine.

there are no codes. the only other thing was i disconnected the battery to run the wiring down to the i/c pipe, but i don't see why that would make a difference. vacuum is where it should be, around -20.3 in/hg

please do NOT bother posting if you're going to say "you shouldn't have re-located it" or "stock is fine", etc. i relocated cause i watched the temps go from 30c to 55c after shutting off the car.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Stock ECU?

If so, it makes sense as it's tuned for the heat soak, so now the ECU is confused.

I know you don't want to hear that, but the obvious think when working on cars is "what did you change before the issue happened?"

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
i agree with Poodle's post about if you are on the stock ecu

you said you logged the intake temps, so if you are on a standalone you have to realize that if you are going to move the IAT and getting colder air readings, its going to alter your entire tuning map, youll need to adjust the curve on it accordingly to those intake temps.

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
it can't be that simple............well if you think about it, even when you start it up, it'll run around 1200 for a few seconds, then drop down to like 850, and after another 30 seconds 800, then 750, etc..............this thing is starting at 1400, and not dropping any lower than 1100. even if i raise the temp, when cold, it's still too high. hard to explain what i mean.

but tomorrow i will add an extra 10-20 degrees and see what happens

thanks for the replys

Last edited:

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
well, i was right. not that simple.

so i modified the air temps by adding 15 degrees to them, and nothing, same shit. i think decided to move the ait back just for fun, same shit (what a surprise).

so i'm at a loss. i can pull a shitload of injector duty at idle, and the stock ecu will fight me to go back to 11:1 afr's. i still have no codes either.

anyone have any ideas on what to check next? there are no shorts between the injectors as i've checked.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
di_rosa;1549110 said:
well, i was right. not that simple.

so i'm at a loss. i can pull a shitload of injector duty at idle, and the stock ecu will fight me to go back to 11:1 afr's. i still have no codes either.

Could it be as simple as the ECU needing to re-learn idle after disconnecting the battery? Test your TPS per the TSRM. What exactly are you tuning with?

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
nah, i drove my car for an hour like that, and same thing.

i've just calibrated my tps twice to confirm everything is good

tuning with the emu. ran it for the past 2 years on a 1j ecu no problems, but this 2j ecu is giving me headaches. i've got a spare 2j ecu i might throw in and see what happens.

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
changed ecu's, not that. air temp sensor wiring tests perfect (no s/c with ecu unplugged), injectors don't have s/c, water temp sensor (2 wire to ecu) doesn't have a s/c.

i have absolultely no idea what the problem is with this damn car............unless it's the emu but i can't check that. even if i jumper the emu harness, i'm still running 720's over the 440's the stock ecu thinks i'm running, so i'll run rich anyways..........i'm screwed