I may have toasted my rps 6-puck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

88SupraTurbo

Apr 17, 2005
Long story short i tried a small brake tourque, after letting out the clutch the tires didnt spin and the revs just sat in the same spot... stupid me i know. The clutch is an rps 6-puck with probably about 10,000km old and has always been biting hard since it was broken in. The clutch doesnt seem to be slipping at all now but i have noticed that when shifting (up or down) that the clutch pedal almost feels "grindy" or "rough" at the engagement point. Is my clutch toast or is there anything i can do to save it? Im really sick about it and hope its still ok.

88SupraTurbo

Apr 17, 2005
slave is as old as the car is, as far as i know... and i just tried adjusting the pedal engagement point but turning the rod did absolutly nothing as far as i can tell (and i turned it like 100times) and yes i was adjusting the right thing...

88SupraTurbo

Apr 17, 2005
would a dead slave make the clutch feel grindy and such? like the clutch still feels the same as it always has if im just pushing it in and out in neutral

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Man, i honestly dont know... I hope someone chimes up that can provide more accurate info... I know what a slipping clutch feels like, but it wasnt grindy... I'd just get on it and I could feel it not going... Like it was going, but not, you know? Just doing my build and having a new clutch, which is an RPS Stage 3+ 6 puck, lol, I just wanted to get a new slave to put in there while it was out...

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
I can.

I had the same thing happen to me at the track in an *attempt* to make boost while staging. What happens here is that you heated the friction material up so much that it got really grabby. A little bit came off onto your pressure plate and flywheel surfaces and make for a rough engagement.

Best advice is go out and drive the car hard, don't slip the clutch. Do some hard driving with fast shifts and hard launches. Basically, do a few mid rpm clutch dumps and drive the car a while. In a while it will go back to normal.

*not responisble for any damage done from this advise. I did not make you do it, I only offered a possible solution. What worked great in my case may blow your shit up and I am in no way responsible. *

88SupraTurbo

Apr 17, 2005
gixxer750 said:
I can.

I had the same thing happen to me at the track in an *attempt* to make boost while staging. What happens here is that you heated the friction material up so much that it got really grabby. A little bit came off onto your pressure plate and flywheel surfaces and make for a rough engagement.

Best advice is go out and drive the car hard, don't slip the clutch. Do some hard driving with fast shifts and hard launches. Basically, do a few mid rpm clutch dumps and drive the car a while. In a while it will go back to normal.

*not responisble for any damage done from this advise. I did not make you do it, I only offered a possible solution. What worked great in my case may blow your shit up and I am in no way responsible. *
haha i sure hope thats all that happend, i definatly do feel alot better now so thanks alot for that and i sure hope your right. If a 6 puck seems to have lost some bite is there any way to almost "re-break in" a used clutch? Just wondering

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
the six puck lost some bite because of the extra material on the pp and flywheel. once you get that off, should be back to normal.

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
gixxer750 said:
awesome !!!

88SupraTurbo

Apr 17, 2005
ya that was more of just a general question not neccesarily pertaining to this situation just cause i have at times thought that i noticed that my clutch has less bite (before this happend) but i guess its most likely im so used to it now that it feels stockish

Status
Not open for further replies.