i have been offered something i do not know about

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
this will be one of those "apologies in advance in the name of ignorance" threads...

my friend has an AR .60 trim turbo from an sts kit for a formula firebird he wants to sell me, if i name a price.

the turbo is, for lack of any possible better term, "fukt."

is there any part of this turbo i could possibly use, and bolt onto my stock ct setup that would be at all useful, especially without upgrading my compressor wheel? its a ball bearing garret turbo, with no bearings intact, excessive play, and minimal turbo fin machining/damage.

common sense points to no, but given my ignorance, i wonder if it would be worth it to buy the turbo housings and fill in the internals later, or if it would be better to buy a complete turbo down the road...

can i use anything here? is it worth it? the opportunity has opened itself to me and otherwise i wouldnt even be in the market for such things, but here it is...

thanks

aaron

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
^ AGREED. A rebuild is going to cost you about a grand or so parts and labor. Go to driftmotion, or HPF and get yourself a LIPP boss turbo from them. Its a direct fit to the stock mani, and depending on the model you get, is capable of up to 700+ HP with the correct supporting mods. (according to their claims) You can get a full kit from them, turbo and soft lines with AN fittings and braided hoses for like 1800. And is a guarenteed direct fit.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Step away for the turbo, this msg. will self destruct in 10 seconds. LOL

turbo's have come down in price so much just buy a new one, not worth the $$$ to rebuild many of them.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
92nsx;1140727 said:
Step away for the turbo, this msg. will self destruct in 10 seconds. LOL

turbo's have come down in price so much just buy a new one, not worth the $$$ to rebuild many of them.

haha thanks for the educated opinions guys..

hate to clutter up the forum with such n00bish inquiries, but like i said, it was an unexpected offer that made me think for a second.

plus realistically, i know id just hit fuel cut issues with a turbo of that size, and im working with a basically stock setup (afm, fuel, etc.)

but thanks again. now i can rest aassured.

aaron

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
yeah the whole section seems to be connected; wheels, bearings (mia) and all...

well i might as well spread the word here guys:

sts turbo kits for ls1 cars with .60 trims are set up to run the turbo in the back. they provide a secondary remote oil pump to pump oil all the way back to the turbo, then up to the engine again, with no remote oil reservoir. the lines themselves cause clearance issues because theyre partially hardlines, and the whole kit mounts up under the rear of the car.

well, we have discovered that these kits come with bum oil pumps, leading to catastrophic turbo failure and engine failure. this has happened to several other people, searching the ls1 forums. so, a word to the wise, or perhaps just a word to pass on:

if you or anyone you know is going to get an sts rear mount turbo kit, save yourself from an engine rebuild/turbo replacement crisis and either DONT BUY THE KIT, or buy a DIFFERENT OIL PUMP.

my friend is in the process of getting ahold of their complaints/ returns department lol (and what a sad lol it is)

aaron

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Another quick note to support the others...

Walk away from that bad turbo! You can have your CT upgraded by Performance Techniques in, CA for around $450.00. I just had mine upgraded to a 57 trim. That will be way cheaper than dealing with that other one.

Here's a link to their website:

http://64.225.76.178/main.htm

Last edited: