I have a w58 from an sc300!?

legolyle

hopeful
Mar 17, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
I recently purchased a new release bearing for my w58, and found out that my tranny in fact had the throw out bearing and pressure plate for an sc300/mk4! So..I am assuming its from an sc300, pre 95 or something that doesn't have the extension on the tail housing. (so I have read)

I had already previously purchased a pressure plate and clutch disc weeks before so I could use it when I finally bolted the tranny back on-at the time I purchased it for a mk3, because I thought I had a mk3 w58 (ASSumed)

I also ASSumed all was well until I was bolting my pressure plate on today and said: "wait a sec" grabbed my old pressure plate, and compared the two...only to find out they are a bit different... doh!

now I'm trying to find out, would the mk3 pressure plate work with the sc300 release bearing and in the sc300 tranny?

I'm not actually positive its an sc300 trans, just that it had the sc300 release bearing and pressure plate.

pics of the pressure plates:

p1758554_1.jpg

mk3 on left, sc300/mk4 on right.

they look to be the same width-the real differences likely lie somewhere else...

:1zhelp:

Last edited:

legolyle

hopeful
Mar 17, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
well, I realize this probably seemed like a dumb question, but I just thought I'd ask because I wanted to avoid getting a reman. one from toyota for 135 bucks...lol, all the kits from the stores cost about the same. (so why get some Chinese kit, when you can get Toyota for the same price)

Anyway, I did some quick measurements today, and the width of each one on end appears to be the same, the design of the front is obviously different, as well as the design of the back-which I didn't notice before. I couldn't tell ya what the parts are called, I'll edit this post later with a pic, just to show ya.

but I did end up ordering one from toyota, im not quite dumb enough to just use a different pressure plate than it was designed for-just so save a few bucks. heh.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Do the dowel pins not line up?

I can see that they have a slightly different design, but that shouldn't matter. Whats different?

They are both push style right?

Just looks like they're just from two different manufactures.

legolyle

hopeful
Mar 17, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
the dowel pins do line up, but there's a couple things im worried about:
1) the release bearing riding correctly on the mk3 pressure plate vs the sc300 pressure plate
2) the number of spring prongs in the center is different on each one-the mk3 one has more.
3)the design on the front and back is different-take a look for yourself-im not sure if that would make a difference though.

when at Napa where I got the bearing-we had a chance to compare the two different release bearings-IIRC the sc300 bearing has a bit smaller I.D. then the mk3 bearing by about .04ish inches.
it also looks pretty different. so it stands to reason that the release bearing is different for a reason.

it is possible that its a different design due to the manufacturer, but I'm not going to take a chance. Since the release bearing IS a different style for the sc300/mk4 w58, it stands to reason that the P.P. could be a different style as well.

Here's some pics of the back:
(old pressure plate-aka the one I think is for the mk4/sc300)
p1759017_1.jpg

beck/arnley mk3-w58 pressure plate:
p1759017_2.jpg

Notice the little arms on the edges? They are arranged a *bit* different-the only real difference on the back as far as I can tell.

if anyone's got anymore input on this, i'd be willing to hear it-that new pressure plate is coming in tomorrow at my local dealer-and I *think* I can still get a refund. If I can save myself 100 bucks-I will.

Master_Spazez

Jun 4, 2011
SC
As long as the clutch fits and the pressure plate provides the right torque on it there shouldn't be a problem. The throwout bearing should line up just fine.

legolyle

hopeful
Mar 17, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
Alright, well, Ill try and see if I can cancel that order tomorrow-get my money back. I'm gonna stick with this one and see how it turns out I guess.

Thanks a bunch for your guys' input!

SRZMK3

as i can see the pressupre plate that was newer looked only a bit bigger on certain edges but most of all it looked like it was the same diameter.. as long as the dowel pins fir and the throwout bearing fits you should be fine.. only a slight difference doesnt mean total incompatability.