**I have a question about down shifting**

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I learned to drive a manual in the snow. Rev matching was the only option. Some days the slightest bit of disruption in the drivetrain would cause the car to start going sideways down the road. To me it just seems like a better habit to have, as it works better in more situations.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
IJ. said:
AJ: Correct it works well for Turbo cars where having the engine spinning fast mid corner helps it get back into boost sooner, if you try and get back on it too soon it really upsets the balance mid corner....

Totally different driving styles depending on the motor, for example I used to have a 12.5:1 comp 302 SBC that would rev to 8k and on downshifts it would easily lock the rears wheels through compression if not careful and you'd get CK's "backwards into the scenery" ;)
Pretty much works on most cars, you want to be in that power band when you are ready to exit the corner. I could see why it would be more useful with a turbo.

Mr. Sinister

Aug 30, 2005
Chicago
IJ. said:
Sin: Say I'm playing on winding roads I'll be using 3rd/4th a lot hammer up to a hairpin bend rev match and go 4>2 stand hard on the brakes to kill the speed feathering the clutch so the engine braking doesn't affect the braking balance from being on the limit, this will bring the engine rpm up getting the motor into it's happy range to accelerate off the slow corner.

Ah. Got it. Thanks.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I rev match slightly different than what's been described so far.

Clutch in, rev to the rpms i estimate it will be in once the gear is fully engaged, slip into gear (if done at the exact RPMs it will go in effortlessly), clutch out, you never knew I switched gears except for the exhaust not change ;)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I generally tap the throttle before letting back off the clutch, but if I'm doing say... a 5>3 WOT run, I'll floor it to send the RPMs running up, and slip the clutch just a bit then engage with the foot on the floor.

Around town, I'm generally down 1500-2000 rpm, and I'm not exactly trying to suck the gas as fast as I can ;)

Reaper Man

I'm the responsible one
Jun 10, 2007
MA
slidebabyslide said:
i do both. it depends how i shift and how lazy i am. Who cares what they say. drive the way; you want to drive.
pretty much it

I just about always rev match and double clutch

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i do my own little varaition of heel/toe, EVERY time i drive. even in toyota pickup. you can never practice too much. and man, you might be surprised how well a 4x4 yota with 31's will take corners. :p

Reaper Man

I'm the responsible one
Jun 10, 2007
MA
shaeff said:
i do my own little varaition of heel/toe, EVERY time i drive. even in toyota pickup. you can never practice too much. and man, you might be surprised how well a 4x4 yota with 31's will take corners. :p
for some reason, the idea of that scares me:)

Reaper Man

I'm the responsible one
Jun 10, 2007
MA
OneJoeZee said:
What reason do you have to double clutch with a synchromesh gearbox?
don't have to, but I do out of habit, part of the issue is I pretty much "learned" how to drive a stick in a performance type manner with my 02WRX at the time, the gear box in those were, shall we say "picky"

T34418L3ONE

Supra for brains.....
Jul 3, 2005
Pleasanton
Clutch pedal is for the parking lot :) If your good with the gas pedal you can shift all around without using the clutch and zero grinding. My r154 just loves it when i get it right. In the case of a downshift, when im on the freeway going from 5-3 i dont use the clutch and the way the power kicks in is awesome. Just practice, oh and it helps to know or be a good mechanic when you tear up your syncros learing ;)