I hate VISTA, and what's an SM Bus controller?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
OK, Vista ia horrible... I really cant stand it... We have it on my dad's monster comp, and its finally defeated him... We had to go back to XP... Now its still problems...

What is the SM Bus controller and why would it be bad? I went to the device manager and on Vista and XP it's giving me the "!" over the SM Bus controller... Could this be what was causing Vista to crash?

We all can agree Jake has the worst luck with comps, but... HALP MUH UHGIN SOOPRAMAINEEA!

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Sorry to hear about your comp problems Jake. I'll stick with my XP. Maybe I'll go to Vista once all the bugs are worked out. This happens everytime that they come out with a new operating system.

Good Luck!!!

Mk3Jesse

Fire is my friend.
Oct 22, 2006
Augusta, GA
www.myspace.com
AF1JZ said:
Sorry to hear about your comp problems Jake. I'll stick with my XP. Maybe I'll go to Vista once all the bugs are worked out. This happens everytime that they come out with a new operating system.

Good Luck!!!
wth.
i guess im lucky.
im having better luck with vista than i have ever had with xp.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Thats what its sayin, the drivers need to be installed... But I cant get the drivers because I cant get on the net with this comp, because its now saying my ethernet card isnt recognized... Another "!" on the ethernet card... It says IT needs the drivers too... but Its a friggin e-card, they dont come with drivers...

Here's the story with this:

My comp died, so my dad and I are building a new one for me, but because mine died, we had to speed up the plan... So, he has two machines, one that is just smokin bad ass and one that is pretty decent... So, he was gunna give me parts out of the decent one... So, on his monster machine, he has 4 gigs of ram, he pulled two sticks to give me, so I'd have 2 gigs and he'd have two gigs... Then he pulled the Raptor from the decent machine and put it in here to format it... Thats when the shit hit the fan... Vista started giving us the blue screen of death and doing all this dumb shit... CHKDSK ran for 3 hours, blah blah... Now it wont do ANYTHING in vista... So, he disconnected the Raptor that has Vista, uploaded XP his second HD *750GB HD* and restarted... Now, it doesnt recognize his E-card and its saying his 8800 video card doesnt get enough power, so it dropped the settings, AND, the SM Bus controller is having issues... But, the SM Bus was giving the same error when Vista was bein a shithead... So I dunno...

How can I get drivers if I cant get on line? Can I get the drivers on this comp and transfer them?

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Reign_Maker said:
How can I get drivers if I cant get on line? Can I get the drivers on this comp and transfer them?
Yes you can do that.
Did the ethernet come with an installation disk? If you have the install cds for the motherboard you should be able to install those as well. Otherwise you'll have to burn the install files onto a cd and work that way.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Ok well this cleared up the problem with the SM Bus problem too... God, Im afraid toput Vista back on here, lol... Well, on THERE, that other comp...

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
JustAnotherVictim said:
SM bus controller is usb interface iirc.
You are so far off it's not even funny.

SMBus is a low speed serial interface used for onboard communications between motherboard devices. On most motherboards, it's used to interface with the temperature sensors, fan speed sensors, and voltage readouts.

I believe it's the same protocol as I2C if anyone cares. I used to do a lot of custom SMBus interfacing back in earlier times :)

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
annoyingrob said:
You are so far off it's not even funny.

SMBus is a low speed serial interface used for onboard communications between motherboard devices. On most motherboards, it's used to interface with the temperature sensors, fan speed sensors, and voltage readouts.

I believe it's the same protocol as I2C if anyone cares. I used to do a lot of custom SMBus interfacing back in earlier times :)

Beat me to it...lol. I knew it was something to that effect, but couldn't remember exactly...so I googled it...:biglaugh: