I hate depression...

jam4484

MKIII Lover
Jul 24, 2005
Tolland CT
Well, I have been suffering from depression for around 3 years now and it is starting to kick my ass. This past year I had to take a year off from college because it got so bad, my girl friend of 5 years and I broke up because she couldn't take me being down so much, and it just seems like things are getting worse. Two of my close friends brothers just died, my uncle just passed away, my grandmother is really sick...ahhhh!! I also hate not going to school because I have a lot of spare time, so I got a job with one of my friends roofing. It went well for a few months and I almost had enough money to send my car to bryan (slow66) to have him finish the supe since I am not getting any where with my depression. Well on memorial day my boss calls me when I am wasted at the beach and tells me to call my boy who we work with(who has 2 kids and got me the job) and tell him that he only needs me for this job since I have a car to get to work. Well I quit and let my boy have the job because he has kids, but I am out of work until I get back from europe(july 8th) and I do not see my car going anywhere. I really should ask my parents to loan me the money, but I have done everything myself in my life and I hate people helping me. Sorry for the rant I just feel that everything bad is happening lately and it is getting worse. I take paxil and talk to a therapists every other week, but they are not helping lately. I just fell like I am worthless lately, but I am a great student(have a 3.73 gpa), great friend, smart, funny and everyone loves me, but I just can not get over this stupid depression and it is killing me!

cliffnotes: depressed, no job, supra is still down, hating everything right about now...need some advice on things to do to feel better...

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
I get depressed a lot, I just try to take it one day at a time. Make your self a list of reasonable things you want to do each day and try to make it happen. If you don't finish the list then just add the leftovers to the next days list... I feel better when I complete a goal.

Quit drinking. It will not help with depression except to make it worse..

Hang in there bud...:)

jam4484

MKIII Lover
Jul 24, 2005
Tolland CT
I do not drink, but every now and then because I know it makes it worse. I am just down because I had so much going on in my life before I got depressed and now it feels like nothing is falling into place. But at least i make it day by day and I am just trying to tell myself when I finally get my car back it will be worth the wait!

Jon Martens

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Sounds Like u need to occupy yourself.
Instead of sending the supra off, DO IT YOURSELF
you got the time you said, and the money.
do something.
the GF breakin up with u cause u were down all the time, sounds like she really didnt care much for you, move on.
and lastly
Like i told will.
Pick up a MMO, you will meet so many people, and make friends you will never see, I suggest
World of Warcraft, or Lineage 2.
Social interaction will help alot.
surround yourself with friends and family, being alone sucks.

jam4484

MKIII Lover
Jul 24, 2005
Tolland CT
I do surround myself with friends and family. I go out almost every night with friends and have a great time, but I still feel down. the reason I want to send my car out is because I know Bryan will do it right the first time and I do not want to have any problems later on down the road. I may see if by chance I could help him with my car while he has it...I will talk to him as he is a great guy and I am sure we can figure something out. thanks for the help guys...just hearing what your guys have to say helps a lot.

Jon Martens

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
You are taking medication and seeing a therapist - those are giant steps you have taken. It shows that you realize you DO have a problem, you are actually doing something about it in trying to find a solution. It takes a lot for a man to admit that he has a problem, and a bigger man to actually seek help when they know it's too great to just tough it out.

You may want to speak with your therapist about your medication. Perhaps they can get a larger dose, or put you on something different. Some people react differently to different medication, and the one you are taking might not be the one for you.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
jam4484 said:
I do surround myself with friends and family. I go out almost every night with friends and have a great time, but I still feel down. the reason I want to send my car out is because I know Bryan will do it right the first time and I do not want to have any problems later on down the road. I may see if by chance I could help him with my car while he has it...I will talk to him as he is a great guy and I am sure we can figure something out. thanks for the help guys...just hearing what your guys have to say helps a lot.

Jon Martens

Jon,

No doubt you can help out with the car, as it will provide a good learning experience, and also keep your mind off things. I would never say that you couldnt work on your own car....

I feel liek a hypocrite for saying this since i never do it, but you have got to look at the positives that you have mentioned. Surroundign yourself with good friends and family is somethign alot of depressed people dont get to do. You are obviously a smart guy as your grades show, and a good job will result because of that. You also have a project car that has the potential of years of cruises, memories, and meeting others in the community that you never would have had it not been for that car. Youre also seeing help, and taking medication which is something that some people in your shoes either wont or cant do.

I knwo im just an outsider, but it sounds as if youre ahead of the 8ball here, and maybe you just need more people to point that out to you to really realize it.

HTH even if it is just the slightest bit.....

jam4484

MKIII Lover
Jul 24, 2005
Tolland CT
Thanks again for all of the responces. I could do all of the work myself, as I have all of the tools and garage space, but like I said, I just want Bryan to do it since he has a lot more experience with these cars than I do. I will lend a hand though so that I can learn from him.
I really want the car back so I can enjoy it. Like Bryan said, I will meet lots of people who have similar interests as me, and that is something I need. My friends are great, but none of them, including my family, are into cars like I am.
Thanks again though guys and Bryan I hope to get back to you soon. I am just going to bite the bullet and ask my father for a loan to get my car back on the road, so hopefuly we can talk before I go to Europe on the 22nd.

Jon

Wreckless

Master Lurker
Start taking vitamins and working out. Seriously. Inertia is such a bitch because so much of our lives seems so impossible to change or make better and our bodies are often one of those things.
Working out feels great when you're done and makes you feel better about yourself at the same time. Start eating better, taking vitamins if need be, and you'll *feel* better too.
It might all seem hopeless but I know there's been at least a dozen or two guys on this forum who went through this post and just nodded their heads to themselves because they've been the same place.
I've tried everything. Meditation, therapy, C16, drinking like a fish, etc. Nothing has helped anywhere near as much as just doing a set or two of pushups and situps every morning before I hop in the shower.

csr ma71

rooftop sniper
Apr 2, 2005
bay area
www.angelfire.com
The movies that helped me get through depression were:

Fight Club
Ginger Snaps
Good Will Hunting
Heathers
Thirteen
American Beauty
Requiem For a Dream
Traffic

Last edited:

jam4484

MKIII Lover
Jul 24, 2005
Tolland CT
I do sit ups and push ups on the regular, but I used to run track and play soccer in college so I may start running again as sit ups and push ups might just not be enough.

Jon

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
csr ma71 said:
The movies that helped me get through depression were:

Fight Club
Ginger Snaps
Good Will Hunting
Heathers

try 'Monthy Python and the Holy Grail'

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
Jon do what wreckless says, get out there and start exersising.
I have manic depression and never realized I was depressed until my Dr had to go to a psychiatrist (sp?) My earliest memories in primaryschool was of me feeling down, didnt want to socialize and get angry quickly, Mood swings etc. As I grew older I was still feeling down broken up with some happy days but then crashing back down to depression.

Then I took up boxing and that was 3 yrs ago. After about 2months of training the "fog" lifted and I was starting to smile and have fun. When my supe is off the road is when I get depressed, so the motivation is to keep her running.
When I had her off the road for 6months I was very depressed, suicidal thoughts running through my head, and when is this going to be done (car fixed) and will it ever run again type thoughts kept getting me down. Its hard to see the "light" at the end in these situations. Motivation is hard to get but once you get the ball rolling it dosnt take long to build it up into a boulder.

The more idle time you have is your worst enemy (that was for me, it may be different for others) so you have to keep your mind occupied. Ive had depression for most my life. I tried the anti depressants the psychiatrist prescribed me but they turned me into a zombie with no reactions. I lost all fear (didnt care about anything) no emotions. I didnt like that so I stopped the medication and went against the advice of my psychiatrist and took up boxing. ( I wanted to join a pistol club but I knew if I did get to own a gun I'll probably shoot myself, so I didnt)
There will be days where you just feel like shit and others where you feel like shit but not as much. Took me a long time to realize but once you do its like a weight lifted off your shoulder.
Everyone on this forum wants to help you get through this. Just hang in there buddy and as we aussies say "she'll b rite mate" :bigthumb:

Mik.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
go to the gym.. for real.. exercise is the key!!! and i knowabout depression. i have an anxiety disorder and i still went to iraq and hated life everyday.

things do get better

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
jam4484 said:
cliffnotes: depressed, no job, supra is still down, hating everything right about now...need some advice on things to do to feel better...
Yeah, Dude, I read it all but just quoted the cliffnotes.

Think positive! Don't worry about what happened, worry about what you will do to make thinks happen. You seem to be pissed off and worrying about the past rather than how you will acheive what you want in the future.

"Depressed"
That is a temporary state that many go through as life is a roller coaster ride.

"No job"
Get one. I am sure you are good at something and someone will hire you for it. If it really comes down to it, work at a WalMart, Home Depot or whatever. If you can do better, then do so. There are lots of jobs out there....just a matter of you accepting one.

"Supra is down"
And? It is only a car/hobby. Hobbies should make you happy. It is meant for enjoyment and if it is not providing you with that, then you ditch it and get/do whatever it is that makes you happy. It is only a car not a ticket to Heaven.
See now people like Rajunz or slow66 or Adjuster or many others do it right:
they have their job and security and build up/work on cars because they enjoy doing it, and as a hobby. Others put their cars before their school or work, or more important thing. Building up a car should be done as a hobby/enjoyment. Folks that work on cars to save money: they don't really save money. It takes a lot of time to learn how to do things. The amount of money you save by doing things yourself is less than the amount of time (remember that time can equal money) you need to learn to be a builder/fixer/painter/etc.
If you are not doing it for the love, then it makes little sense.

As many others have said, excercise helps out quite a bit. To me, being in shape is more important than having any car. (Not that I am in the exact shape I want to be in.)

Happiness is looking forwards to things. What things are you looking forward to and what are you doing in getting them?

I am buried in my own problems that make yours look very meaningless.
I did not incur these problems from my mistakes so much, but they just seemed to come my way.
I think of how to get out of them and put them behind me. I look forward and know that there is much I need to know in getting out of them.
That is called problem solving. But I know how some problems can be quite complex deals...or at least to the person that may have them.

You see, I believe there are two types of problems: real and those that are exaggerated by the mind.
Real problems have solutions, and if they don't, then acceptance is what is needed to get you by and just move on towards things you can change.
The ones that are exaggerated by the mind are the ones that need the person to somewhat change their perceptions and way of looking at things.
Now I don't know you or you situation enough to say which one would be more for you. That is something you will have to assess and go from there.

One time I read a post by Jaguar on SF, and he posted to someone that was rather on the niave side that made a mistake in thinking that they could change the way things are on SF. I thought it was very enlightening.
I think it went something like:
May God give the ability to [someone] to accept things that they can't change;
May God give [someone] the courage to change the things that they have to;
And may God give [someone] the wisdom to know what they can and can't change...

Eh, if that did not help, at least I sounded smart to you or to anyone that read this. LOL
And don't lose your sense of humor when things are at their worst, it is when you need it the most. ;)
Justin727 laughs so many things off like noone else we know.

P.S. If anyone know that exact passage or quote, please correct me.

supraman420

Jetta time
Aug 16, 2005
Chicago
Read about Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs. Build your confidence up from the bottom, you will feel much better. Education rules it all!

jam4484

MKIII Lover
Jul 24, 2005
Tolland CT
To begin with the problem with my car is it is a project and I enjoy working on it, I just miss the excitement of driving it. Driving has always been my way to relax and enjoy life, I have a jeep as my daily driver, but wheelin g and driving slow do not cut it for me. I love working on my car, I just miss driving.
As for getting a job, I can not wait to get back to work, the only problem is I will be in Holland in 2 weeks for 3 weeks so no one wants to hire me right before i go on vacation.
Well I am going to take everyones advice and start working out a lot more. I already benched and did sit ups but I am going to go on a run.
Thanks again for everything and my car is not heaven, I just am missing my outlet that i have always used to make myself feel better and not having that outlet is starting to get to me.

Jon

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
Are you not looking forward to go to Holland?

You are there for 3 weeks... well, like one week before you go back, start looking for a job online or something, send out resumes and by the time you are back at home, you might have the chance to go to work right away... or at least have some interviews.

I get depressions too, luckily the bf puts up with it... do you have a pet?
Since I have my lil Jack Russell, I am doing alot better.